Installing Mojave - circle with /

I was running macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 on an external 1TB Porsche Design - external hard drive (purchased form Apple Store). Then, installed Mojave 10.14 beta on the exxternal drive (APFS). After lengthy install, reboot yielded a black screen with white cirlce and / (slash) in center screen. Rebooted multiple times, see the same slash.

Installing beta is mandatory on an external drive - otherwise no longer capable of submitting to App Store for existing apps.

I remain hopeful this is specific to my Porsche external drive. Would appreciate if anyone reports back success running on -any- external drive, flash, or other. I will go purchase the drive that allows install if needed.

Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

16GB memory

Accepted Reply

Upate to this.

fyi:

I used a standard USB 2.0 Seagate FreeAgent Go drive with dongle to connect to USBC on Macbook Pro. I was able to format and install the beta OS.

Replies

I can't Install the beta version either. May constellation:

1. MacBook Pro 2016
  2. Partitioned 1TB G-DRIVE mobile with Thunderbolt, connceted with USB-B cable of the vendor with an Apple USB-C Adapter.

I did find a solution of the new page, that suggests to create a boot disk for the installer:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.14\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled

I tried it and I seems, that it just moves the problem.

Did someone test a GDrive installation with a Thunderbold 2 cable and an Apple USB-C Thunderboild 2 adapter?

Thnis is, what I ried:

1. Installing on an external APFS formatted volume from a High Sierra, that was booted form an external partition of an usb drive
  2. Installing on an external APFS formatted volume from a High Sierra, that was booted form the internal SSD
  3. Installing on an external Mac OS Extended formatted volume from a High Sierra, that was booted form the internal SSD

I have no further idea to make the beta running. Installing Mavericks, El Capitan, El Capital Beta, Sierra, Sierra Beta, High Sierra and high Sierra Beta was passible without any problems in the past.

FWIW - I was able to install on 128gb scan disk usb-c flash drive with no problems - just slow. (am sending this response booted into that drive).

So, there is currently no solution for this?

I'm running into the same issue.

My source is a MacBookPro13,2 running macOS 10.13.4

My target is a SanDisk 480GB Extreme 510 Ext SSD USB-C

I formatted it in GUID and tried both AFS and Extended Journaled. Both without FileVault.

I always end up with 🚫 after the 2nd reboot. I ran verbose mode and it sayed something about an KeyStore if I remember correctly. Will try once more and update with the correct message.

Don't think there is - other than waiting for Beta 2

You are most likely correct. After failing to install to an external on my 2017 MBP, I used the same drive on a 2012 MBA and it installed successfully. After finishing all setup I tried booting my 2017 MBP with this now completely installed version of Mojave and it still failed with the circle-slash icon. I did this with two different drives that both successfully ran High Sierra.

Same problem here using a TB MBP with an USB 3 SSD.

Just pluged the SSD into a 5k iMac and it works. :-)

The problem seems to occur when using the usb-3 to usb-c adapter. As mentioned above I had this problem and then did the install on 128GB SanDisk flash drive connected directly to the MPB USB-C connector and that worked fine.

Then let's hope, that they will release a new beta soon...

I have 2 machines that I am putting beta on. The first is a macbook and that went fine. The second is a mb pro and this one isnt being cooperative. I am stuck in the install. It was going for 3 hours and didnt finish so I restarted to interrupt the process. I am turning filevault off now (I always have issues with beta and filevault). Will try the installation again with filevault off to see if that helps anything.

Here is my solution: Instead of using the Apple USB-C to USB-B adapter to connect my 1TB GDrive with the vendor's USB cable, I have bought an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter today to connect the same GDrive with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable. For any reasons the Installation is now working without any problems.

I'm trying to install the beta on a Sandisk 200GB Connect Wireless 2.0 which I just bought at the Apple Store today on my MacBook Pro mid-2015 which had macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 on it.

It finished downloading the installer from the App Store and is currently seemingly stuck running the Install macOS 10.14 beta that has been saying "About 9 minutes remaining" for 2 hours.

The computer is still functioning as I'm typing this on it, but I may need to let it run overnight and see what happens.

After experiencing the same problem myself and testing it on three different types of external hard drives I determined that the problem was all with the USB-C adapter that is needed to connect a regular USB drive to the MacBook Pro 2016. If I used an external Thunderbolt drive it worked fine. But any drive that depended on the adapter did not work.

I further tested the install on an older MacBook and, as mentioned here by others, it worked just fine.

Guess I have to get an external drive with a direct USB-C connection, sigh!

The install did finally finish Sunday morning and I've had no problems except for the new Stocks app not working.

I'm loving the true dark mode.

As reported above I had similar problem trying to install on external drive. I was at local computer store yesterday and noticed that they had the G-Drive mobile usb-c 1tb drive on sale so I bought it. This is the one with the native usb-c connector (NOT the one with the usb 3.0 connector) and usb-c to usb-c cable. I went through the install process with it but, at the end, still got the circle / screen.

I then tried with another usb-c to usb-c cable I had bought last year when it was on sale for $2 and it worked! So now I have the beta running on that drive. So, at least for now, I can proceed with testing the beta.