Search in Files app (NSFileproviderExtension)

I'm developing a new extension in Files app.

When I start a search in the top search bar, files in my extension are not showing up in the list.

I tried to implement CSSearchableItem and index it to the corespotlight, but the items are only searchable in the corespotlight and not in Files app.

There is no clue in NSFileproviderExtension showing how to implement the search feature in the Files App.

How can I make my files searchable in Files app?

Thanks

Accepted Reply

I think the key point you’re missing here is that the Files app only searches the working set. Are you populating that with the files you’re trying to search for?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

I think the key point you’re missing here is that the Files app only searches the working set. Are you populating that with the files you’re trying to search for?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hello Quinn, I am running into the same problem. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "populating the working set"?

Thank you and best regards

Frank

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "populating the working set"?

File providers aren’t really my thing — other folks in DTS take the lead on this technology — but my understanding is that the working set concept is pretty central to the whole business. It’s discussed in depth in WWDC 2017 Session 243 File Provider Enhancements.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"