iOS 11.3 beta 2 iMessage completely broken?

Since updating to beta 2 this morning I've been unable to use iMessage pretty much at all.

The Messages app itself shows just an empty page with no conversations, and the 'new conversation' button doesn't work at all.

The Messages settings itself shows me as signed out.

If I try to sign in, it spins for a long time and then just shows an error of :

"

iMessage Activation

Unable to contact the iMessage server.

Try again.

"

I'm guessing the only way to fix this would likely be to restore an old backup from quite a while ago or wait until something changes?

Restoring would lose me a ton of health kit data and apple watch data which I would be super sad about.

Replies

same

Same for me too

Happened when I updated this morning. Turning airplane mode on and off fixed it for me.

Same for me, tried resetting, turning off and turning off airplane mode and nothing works. Any other ideas?

I tried waiting patiently all day as I was suspecting that this is a problem with the iMessage servers themselves or the equipment Apple has on premises at the carriers. At some point before 7pm pacific my messages settings suddenly showed me signed in again and my messages started working again. I really hope it keeps working. I felt like half a person with neither sms nor iMessage... I don’t THINK I did anything that fixed it so I believe something happened on the backend. The only significant change I made was to futilely turn the messages in iCloud settings on in hopes it would help. But that was many hours ago.

My messages app is also broken after updating my iPhone 7 Plus to 11.3 b2. Sometimes the app will open and just crash. Sometimes it will open and be completely blank. Sometimes it will open and just say messages up top and once or twice it displayed all of the messages but none of them could be opened and new messages couldn’t be created.

Update, a full restore did not resolve the issue.

Ssme issue here my simple solution was to sign out from Apple ID and sign back in.

This issue seems to exist across all devices (at least on macOS and iOS). I was able to get my messages to pull up by signing out and back into iCloud, but this is obviously a pain and I'd suggest you do it when you have WiFi to make the process smoother. The only catch is that anytime you restart the device, you're back where you started.

I can also confirm that a full restore did not fix it for me, however I wasn't willing to forego my back-up, so I can't say if that would have had a different result. I'm not seeing a ton of complaints about this, so I'm not sure if it's an across the board issue, or which users are pained by it.

Considered reverting to beta 1, but not sure how to revert my Mac and would prefer they be running the same. Not sure how the Mac would react when it's on a newer version. That being said, it also seems like my messages aren't getting synced up anymore.

Here's to hoping for an unplanned beta 3 release next week.

I had the same problem however completely signing out of icloud and the store then signing back in fixed it for me and all is working properly.

Same here. Completely signed out of iCloud and then signed back in and all was well.

I got the same peoblem and cannot fix the issue, mac os 10.13.4 And ios 11.3 beta 2, i signed out and cannot log back into my account at all. I have done reset and restore, itunes over the air restore from multiple backups and it doesnt work at all..... how to i disable imessages on my iphone completely? The message app is frrezing up and seems to be looking for a log in? I went into icloud and diable imessages but the message up is still freezing up? Apple come on this is bad one, its like my account is locked out and i can authenticate anymore

So my iphone just says waiting for activation and my imac 10.13.4 beta will not log into imessages now. Before the screen was freezing up on my iphone, i disabled all images and logged out on my iphone, logged back in to icloud re enables imessage and messages in icloud and now im able to get regular sms txt messages with out the app freezing and im happy atleast i can get regular txt messages. Their server or mac os 10.13.4 beta 2 is causing this issue for sure, i disnt have this problem till i upgraded my imac at 7 PM EST

Only way to fix imessage on my phone to not freeze and work propert is to setup a new device and not restore any data..... now mac os still cannot connect to apple aerver to authenticate.... going to work with apple in couple of hours and see if i can make any lead way at all... i know i know im on beta

Enabling Airplane mode for like 10 seconds and then disabling it fixed it for me.

Running 11.3 Beta 2 on iPhone X and iPad. Have run into this on both devices following restarts. Interestingly, I would still receive message notifications on the watch for both SMS and iMessage while this was happening to the phone. The messages (with the exceptions of the ones sent during the time that the phone was "signed out" of iMessage appeared back after between 1 and 4 hrs - Didn't "do" anything to fix.