AirPods interference by Simulator playing sounds

First time using AirPods. Had them just about a week and starting today, audio quality really went downhill.

This is on an iMac Pro which also uses a wireless keyboard and mouse. But, I did turn off Bluetooth on my iPhone to remove as much interference as possible. No change.

I then started to quit applications, and right when I quit the iOS simulator, sound output returned to its original pristine quality. Re-launched the simulator and sound still a-ok. But, once I launched my app in the simulator (which plays a sound when the main screen opens), quality back to very low.

So somehow, playing sounds is wrecking the audio stream to the AirPods. Only way to return to normal is to quit the simulator. The simulator also doesn't offer any sound or Bluetooth settings, so not sure if there's another fix.

This isn't a deal-killer; just a bummer. Will file a bug later.

Replies

rdar://36441778

Yes. I have the same question with you. I guess it's airport's bug or Xcode bug.

I hope Apple Company will fix it.

If you select a different audio device for audio input to the simulator, the audio quality will not drop on playback.

• The problem is that my Mac mini does not have a build-in microphone and I don't have an alternative audio input device. Is there a way to disable audio input entirely for iOS simulator? My app running on the simulator doesn't need to utilize the microphone capability.

Add a Comment

going to system preferences > sound > input

choose Internal microphone, the sound going to your airpods should go back to full quality.