Is it possible for my app to get a notification when an associated file type was deleted?

Hello

I have a certain file type associated with my app. So that my app appears as a "open with" alterntive. However I would also like to get a notification if something of that file type gets deleted, so that my app can recognize/keep track of it. I think the iOS "Files" app does this, as it knows whether or not (any file in this case) gets deleted or gets added onto cloud apps. I would like to get notified for a special file type only.

As a side note I also wonder if the opposite would be possible, sending a notification to ("Files" app in this case), that a file of a particular has been deleted/ or to have an actual request to it to have it deleted. So that I in the aftermath of all this can use "Files" as my point of storage.

Replies

I would also like to get a notification if something of that file type gets deleted, so that my app can recognize/keep track of it.

Are you asking about files that your app has never seen? Or files that you have had access to in the past?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

As of now, I have a file type that is special to my app only. If status of these file types could be transmitted to the apps that associates with it - then the hisory of the specific file of the file type would not matter. My aim is to use the clouds of the user to store their app's projects via sharing functionality. But right now it is only possbible to launch project from the clouds (and also from the from "Files" app) - my app has no way of knowing what is deleted or not. It would be nice to be able to have a project selection/deletion inside my app - but using this approach it does not seem to be possible at this time. My app has no influence over the project files stored in the "Files" app.