iOS 11 UINavigationBar Status Bar Height Control

I've noticed a behaviour that's started in iOS 11 with the UINavigationBar and how it grows to take into account the height of the status bar. I'd like to know if there's a way to control this as the behaviour's causing issues for me.

So, I have a UINavigationController, with it's UINavigationBar unhidden. This UINavigationController is a child view controller and is configured with a gesture recogniser to allow it to be swiped downwards to reveal another viewcontroller behind it.

This all worked fine on previous vesions of iOS but there's a glitch in the animation on iOS 11. From what I can see, at the point at which the UINavigationController is at 0 on the yXis, relative to the UIWindow, or in other words at the exact point it is where it would be had it not been offset via the gesture recogniser, the status bar height is taken into account, pushing down the UINavigationBar inside the UINavigationController. At any other position it's not. This causes the content to jump up and down during the slide.

Has anyone else experienced this. Really what I want to be able to do is continue using the UINavigationController but get it always keep account of the StatusBar's frame, regardless of it's position.