iOS 11 - Silent push notification not delivered to App in background.

Would like to report an issue, where silent push notifications are not delivered to the App in the background looks like related to IOS 11 issue as we are able to recevie silent pushes on ios 9.x and 10.x devices. We have also tried updating OS from 11.0.3 to 11.1.1. At first silent pushes were received in both foreground and background. However, after few days we found that the PNs are no more being received in the Background and the issue still persist on iOS 11.1.1.

Furthermore, we found a workaround which suggests:
“Reset All Settings” from Settings App (Settings->General->Reset), which actually resolve the problem for the time being but this only works for iOS 11.1.x. iOS 11.0.x device failed to receive silent pushes. And its, not a viable solution for us, since we can't say our users to reset their settings.

is there a proper workaround to resolve this issue?

Replies

any update?

There were some changes made by apple to optomize which pushes are received to conserve battery life.

AFAIK there is not guarenteed way to ensure a silent push goes through with the content-available flag.

See post and article: https://developer.ibm.com/customer-engagement/2017/09/28/apple-push-notification-changes-ios-11/

Hope this helps,

DT

Sorry if im wrong, silent notificaitons = voip ?

and what code are you using for handle ? (push kit) ?

also did you setup your project capability correctly ?

This issue still persists on iOS 11.2.x. Did anyone find the solution for this?

I'm facing the same problem and no, I'm not using voip. Silent notifications are the notifications we send with content-available = 1. I'm not using push kit either (but I'm trying to use it now to see if it can fix the problem) and yes, the project capability is correct (the same code is working on ios 10).