homekit hubs connected vs standby

Hello,

I have a question about having two apple Tvs acting as homekit hubs. One of them is showing status as 'connected' and the other one is in Standby. I assume that the one on styandby can still be used by HomeKit Bluetooth devices to signal correct? if so, and both appleTvs are un range, how does the system decide what hyb processes the signal? additionally, what exactly is the differnece between connected and standby? I would like to understand better the standby status. What is what the hub can and cannot do while on standby.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

I too would like to know the answer to this.... I have 4 hubs and on occasion all 4 are in standy.... Would like clarification that the one indicated by connected is the master and the ones in standby are the slaves with all emitting a signal once the master processes it..

I have one AppleTV and two HomePods and see the same behavior. I've been having issues this morning where all devices get "no response" in the Home App. I powered off both my HomePods and one of them is still "Connected" and the other HomePod and AppleTV are in standby. It's been 2 hours. It's not clear how failover works. Running 12.0 on my Apple TV and iPhone and 11.4.1 on HomePods.

Both my HomePods also reset this morning by themselves and I had to re-run the setup. Think I'll have to delete my home and start over.

There appears to be a bug in iOS 11.4.1 (new since 11.4 which worked well) where the accessory connetions are lost and HomeKit starts showing "no response" for all. If you can cycle the wifi on the iphone and it connects with no action on the accessory this is likely the problem. I don't have an apple TV to check if it's there as well. See: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/106251

The No response issue is likely caused by a stuck hub. I always search for what hub is connected an unplug it. The system returns to normal as soon as it reconnects to a new hub. It’s always a HomePod that gets hung up and causes a no response condition.