iOS 9 beta 3: Cannot switch languages using external keyboard.

SUMMARY:

Cannot switch input method (language) via Bluetooth keyboard because CMD+Space is now allocated for calling out Spotlight, which has been used for the language switcher since 2010.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Connect an external keyboard to iPad via Bluetooth (ex: Apple Wireless Keyboard).

2. Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard...

3. Add more languages. (ex: Korean)

4. Open Notes.app, type something, and hit CMD+Spcae.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Spotlight is called out.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Input Method should be switched (between English ↔︎ Korean, for example.)

REGRESSION:

CMD+Space for Spotlight is a new feature in iOS 9.0 beta 3. Before β3, the shortcut has been calling out the language switcher.

NOTES:

For OS X, CTRL+Space will be allocated for Spotlight if more than 1 input method are up in system. iOS should hire the same trick.

Replies

I don't have my bluetooth keyboard at the moment so I can't test, but can't this be changed by editing Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts?

Settings\General\Keyboard\Shortcuts only allow us to add new shortcuts when typing.

It is interesting that my keyboard has two hotkeys which are search and input method switch, now they share the same function, search.

One alternative way to deal with this problem is to call out the soft keyboard on screen then press the little globe on creen to change the input method, then hide the soft keyboard again.

I'm on iOS 9 public beta and using Apple wireless keyboard for typing. Accidentaly found solution. Try to double hit fn button if you keyboard has it.

I'll try to leave feedback about such not obvios layout switcing.

Some people said double hit of fn key solved this issue but I didn't try it by myself.

I could switch the languages using Shift+CMD+Space. Hope it helps.

But it's seems like there's one letter lag after you switch the language and I don't know why. I'm using 1 Keyboard app using Macbook's keyboard for my iPad's bluetooth keyboard. Cheers.

A little additional test result:

• Even without cusom keyboard app installed, the issue can be reproduced: the first key stroke after language change will be typed in the previous language and the new languages will be applied from the second and later. At the moment I have enabled English and Korean keyboards.
  • With Logitech K811, the 'double tapping fn key' will not work while shft-cmd-space will work okay.

Did anyone got the new result? I just found out it is possible by pressing CTRL + SPACE to change language.

Shift + Control + Spacebar
Thailand User.

I'm experiencing same problem. Apple should note that not every keyboard has 'ctrl' key on it.

Control + Spacebar works too in a Logitech Ultrathin Folio i5 wit iPad Air

I upgraded yesterday to the official IOS 9, not the beta and I have the same issue.

I use Logitech's Type + on an iPad Air 2 and both the "Search" and "Language Change" shortcut buttons share the same function: "Search".

I'm really frustrated about this since the CTRL-Space shortcut which does that now, has also a funny behavior:

When you press CTRL-Space, the list of keyboards appear and you have already changed to the next available,

But: If you change your mind and hit CTRL-Space again the keyboard will change again but the "space" character will also be typed in your text!

By hitting only the CTRL button while the list of the keyboards is displayed, you change the the keyboard and that's why the space or any other character combined with CTRL is now typed.

So the combination to change language now is: CTRL-Space for the first time, and only CTRL for all subsequent times until the list of keyboards is gone! Then you can use CTRL-Space again!

Also if you keep CTRL pressed, then you can hit Space multiple times to cycle through keyboards (which is expected) but if you release CTRL, then you get to change keyboards only by hitting CTRL again until the list is gone as mentioned above.

It's so annoying!!!

Plus now I have two "Search" buttons on my keyboard!

Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover with iPad Air, the only combination of buttons that work is CTRL+SPACEbar. Although it lags a bit it is not very fast.

iOS 9

control + space bar work for me.

Thailand user too.