19 Replies
      Latest reply on Jul 3, 2018 2:33 AM by devxhkl
      bhavukchawla Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

#iOS 11 Xcode 9 Navigation bar height not changes

and also status bar is not hidden getting 20 px space at the bottom of the navigation bar

self.navigationController?.navigationBar.frame = CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: (self.navigationController?.navigationBar.frame.size.width)!, height: 116)

• Re: #iOS 11 Xcode 9 Navigation bar height not changes
          r.s.khisamov Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm changing bar height by override the

func sizeThatFits(_ size: CGSize) -> CGSize

example:

let navigationNormalHeight: CGFloat = 44
          let navigationExtendHeight: CGFloat = 84

extension UINavigationBar {
              override open func sizeThatFits(_ size: CGSize) -> CGSize {
                  var barHeight: CGFloat = navigationNormalHeight

if size.height == navigationExtendHeight {
                      barHeight = size.height
                  }

let newSize: CGSize = CGSize(width: self.frame.size.width, height: barHeight)
                  return newSize
              }
          }

and change it where I need

self.navigationBar.frame.size = self.navigationBar.sizeThatFits(CGSize(width: self.navigationBar.frame.size.width,
                                                                                                         height: 44))

It's correctly change the bar height, but the bar item doesn't to change position like it was in the iOS 10.
          I hope it'll helpful

nhnhanit Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It also don't work for me. Please help!

gianfilippoci Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same issue.

In particular the size of the navigation bar content view is changing, but the size of the navigation bar is not. Infact when the autolayout caluclates the views' position, it places the view under the standard navigation bar height. The same code is perfectly working on iOS 10 and on iOS 11 (built from xCode 8.3).

gianfilippoci Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've solved using this:

if #available(iOS 11.0, *) {
                     self.additionalSafeAreaInsets.top = 20
                }

in the viewWillAppear of the ViewController extended by all view controllers in my app.

You have to set the additionalSafeAreaInsets.top with your navigationbar height less the standard statusbar height (which is 44).

This is the code of my custom navigationbar.

It seems to work on both iOS 10 and 11 (tested on iPhone X and iPhone 8).

class CustomNavigationBar: UINavigationBar {

// NavigationBar height
                    var customHeight : CGFloat = 64

override func sizeThatFits(_ size: CGSize) -> CGSize {
                        return CGSize(width: UIScreen.main.bounds.width, height: customHeight)
                    }

override func layoutSubviews() {
                        super.layoutSubviews()

let y = UIApplication.shared.statusBarFrame.height
                        frame = CGRect(x: frame.origin.x, y:  y, width: frame.size.width, height: customHeight)

for subview in self.subviews {
                            var stringFromClass = NSStringFromClass(subview.classForCoder)
                            if stringFromClass.contains("BarBackground") {
                                subview.frame = CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: self.frame.width, height: customHeight)
                                subview.backgroundColor = self.backgroundColor
                            }

stringFromClass = NSStringFromClass(subview.classForCoder)
                            if stringFromClass.contains("BarContent") {
                                subview.frame = CGRect(x: subview.frame.origin.x, y: 20, width: subview.frame.width, height: customHeight)
                                subview.backgroundColor = self.backgroundColor
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }

Hope it helps.

Rincewind Apple Staff Apple Staff (290 points)

Resizing the navigation bar (via any method, including subclassing) is not supported, and neither is changing the frame of a navigation bar that is owned by a UINavigationController (the navigation controller will happily stomp on your frame changes whenever it deems fit to do so).

Also the frame "CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: <width>, height: 116)" is wrong. The navigation bar needs to be placed on the bottom edge of the status bar, not underlapping the status bar, and with its natural height. If you were laying out the navigation bar manually, the correct frame in this case would be "CGRect(x: 0, y: 20, width: <width>, height: 96)" (this assumes a 20pt tall status bar, iPhone X uses a 44pt tall status bar).

Finally the internal layout of the navigation bar is an implementation detail *including all class names and orderings*. Any code that relies upon the ordering of the navigation bar's subviews or the names of any of their classes is likely to encounter issues in the future, as these are all private details. Please do not rely upon them.

If there are things you want to do with a navigation bar that you cannot, please Report Bugs!

baraupp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

"...as these are all private details. Please do not rely upon them."

So how do we solve this issue without relying upon the private details?

Rincewind Apple Staff Apple Staff (290 points)

You don't, not if you need to rely upon private implementation details to solve the problem. You instead Report a Bug asking for support for what you are doing.

If you are just trying to get a continuous background with some other UI element you position under the navigation bar, what you can do is instead of trying to resize the navigation bar, you can just customize it to be transperant, then add your own UIVisualEffectView (or whatever other background you want) that underlaps the navigation bar and put your content there.

But without knowing why people are trying to make the navigation bar bigger, we don't know how to support you or that we ever need to. Thats why filing bugs is important.

arlomedia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Makes sense ... I just submitted a bug report explaining why I've been using a custom navigation bar height.

Meanwhile, I found this workaround to (approximately) double the height: https://stackoverflow.com/a/47321141/462162

alionthego Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I would like to increase the height of the navigationBar to put in a segmented control and other items.  However, as you suggest this cannot be done.  Putting these items under the navigationBar and removing the navigationBar shadow encounters two other significant problems.  Firstly when you add a searchController to the navigationBar, the shadow persists and cannot be removed.  Secondly, when used with a tableViewController underneath in a containerView, the pull to refresh when rubber banding the navigationBar covers the segmentedControl and other items.  I filed a bug  and the reply was:

"This specific configuration of subviews and constraints to the safe area, in combination with the large title navigation bar, isn’t supported. Instead of having the label and table view pinned inside the safe area, the table view should extend to the edges of its container view (it should extend outside the safe area, under the navigation bar). This way, the table view will not be resized as it is scrolled and the navigation bar expands or collapses. Then you can use the tableHeaderView property of the table view to display this label at the top, below the navigation bar."

However the tableView headerView is not a practical solution in this case as the header is lost when the user scrolls down.  I believe the problem is the items that are being added below the navigationBar and pinned to the safeArea should move down with the navigationBar as it rubberBands on pull to refresh.  Incidentally this is the case when the navigationBar rubberBands with largeTitles.

surfrider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for response, it's all clear, but how then stock Message app on iOS gets it's navbar bigger for conversation screen? Even with animation on push/pop between dialogs list screen and conversation screen.

It's a private API i guess?

tyrbl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Here is the solution add these lines in your  custom subclass UINagationController.

kTYStatusBarHeight is the statusBar height.

It worked for me as well.

- (void)viewSafeAreaInsetsDidChange {

[super viewSafeAreaInsetsDidChange];

if (self.view.safeAreaInsets.top < kTYStatusBarHeight) {

self.additionalSafeAreaInsets = UIEdgeInsetsMake(kTYStatusBarHeight, 0, 0, 0);

}

}