Not impressed with Xcode 9

I wasn't able to use Xcode 9 earlier (had to submit apps), but now have the GM. While I love the speed of the new editor and all the scrolling bugs it fixed, there are numerous issues:

• Dragging in source to the project from Finder brings up the familiar sheet that you can configure what targets to add to. Files are added, but they end up not being in any target. I always need to bring up the file property inspector and change target membership there. Annoying!
  • Multiple tabs in Xcode cause a serious performance hit when loading projects. I use multiple tabs to quickly switch between configured workspaces specific for storyboards, source, test results, etc.
  • Xcode often gets stuck in 'Indexing | Prebuilding...' Have to force quit.
  • Few crashes earlier when setting slice information on image assets.
  • Setting custom view subclasses in the storyboard often leaves the 'inherited from module' checkbox unchecked. Running the app then gives you 'Unknown class in Interface Builder file'. This is kinda tied to the first bug above in that it seems one has to manually check checkboxes after doing some task.

So I'm very tempted to revert back to Xcode 8.3.3. Which unfortunately doesn't give my the iPhone X simulator or ability to move to Swift 4. My apps do run seamlessly on the iPhone X simulator though. And Swift 4 migration was quite easy, so I could do that again in the future.

Anyone else struggling with Xcode 9 like this? Personally, I don't see this as ready for prime time and would definitely not submit any of my apps with it at this time.

Replies

Don't you feel it's somehow a repeat of XCode 8 transition ? Hope it will stabilize much faster.

I wish Apple would reconsider their release schedule. I think things would be much better if they shipped an almost final Xcode at the developer's conference. Then, the GM by mid-July. This would allow for more developers to use the tools, provide feedback and file bugs. As it stands, if you have an app you must ship alongside the yearly iOS update, one has to rely on last year's tools.

Of course a GM in mid-July would only allow app submissions with the currently shipping iOS until which time as Apple opens the door for apps on the latest SDK.

As I've speculated before, Apple seems to have decided that Xcode is simply a perpetual beta, a not uncommon practice in the software industry over the last few years, apparently.

I have already decide to wait for 9.1 at least before switching. For 8, I had to wait till 8.3.

I'm relatively new to xcode, though I have used it as a code editor on occaision before.

Only really started using it a few weeks back, but I've just opened up a few files and then went to search them for a phrase. The search works as expected, but when you click on the search result it takes to the wrong part of the file! It's not even consistent in how many rows out the search is either!

rsharp I confirm your every word! Each time a new version like 5.0-6.0-7.0-8.0-9.0 of Xcode is buggy and unstable.

What is very strange, that bugs sometimes so obvious and I don't understand how it's really passed tests.. if they have one.. or they simply don't have time to fix it? Will wait for new versions 😟

The Target bug... is really more than just one bug...

The "Choose options for adding these files:" dialog functionality is basically snafu.

1. Copy to destination sometimes does does it's thing without being checked and I end up having duplicates of my core library files around. I make edits and don't realize it is on a duplicate, then spend hours on other projects trying to figure out why I am having the same problem... only to find I am working on an old unedited library file version because the edits were applied to a different version I did not know existed isolate to a different project... love that "Copy to Destination"
  2. Added folders, the create groups or folder references, has never worked correctly. The only option is to use groups because folder references means that anything you add will NOT be added as targets in the project. "Folders" in Xcode are usless and misleading, need to be removed as they can't apparently be fixed.
  3. Add to targets: now no longer works at all.

The entire "Choose options for adding these files:"dialog needs to go away. It is just a placebo. It needs to silently work like File -> Add Files to "Project Name here" which does add them to the current target without any dialog or malfunctioning options.

All of these "Choose options for adding these files:" problems are likely because the developers of Xcode use the menu item and avoid the buggy dialog. Using Xcode is more than using a tool, it is having to work like the Xcode developers... it is kinda of "their way or the highway" as rarely does anything get fixed that doesn't impact the way *they* work, or so it seems.

So... they like working in a One-Window-World so you had better too. They love tabs... so you need to as well. They think that the world is made of browsers, not document editors so... so should you. They use xcode via command key sequences.. so anything that does not have a default command key sequence is the last thing to get fixed if bugged up. Based upon the tabs and one-window-world approach, they probably work on a single screen 15" or 13" laptop... so you need to do the same...

My guess is that the person on the team who used Finder drag and drop hence "Choose options for adding these files:" is no longer with the team... and since nobody uses Finder drag and drop in the team now, neither should you

This is not a rant, this is an anthropological observation. I have been using Xcode for 17 years. Xcode is *always* beta, pick your version of beta.

I'm now out of app submission mode for a while and have moved to Xcode 9. Bugs filed on the issues outlined above.

In terms of tabs, I now don't use tabs at all. I had eight set up in my projects (e.g. Source, Test Results, Localization, Images, Storyboard, etc.). The fewer tabs you have, the faster projects load. So now I just have the one main window.

For reference, the bugs I filed so far are:

rdar://34601720 (Xcode 9 not adding dragged files to targets)

rdar://34601631 (Xcode 9 extremely slow opening projects with multiple tabs)

I have not been able to reproduce any crashes or hung re-index processes. And I have not had luck getting a small test case exposing the 'inherited from module' issue in IB.

rdar://34612275 filed; just had another complete hang of Xcode 9 during indexing. I simply opened a project. Sat there indexing for well over 10 minutes. Decided to quit Xcode and that action was blocked; ultimately had to force quit.

This is simply disgusting. Going back to Xcode 8.x and Swift 3. Apple, for the love of all, do something with the complete lack of stability with your major Xcode versions. And/or give developers the option to use the older toolset with newer SDKs and Swift versions (within reason of course).

i mainly use xcode as a compiler and for storyboards, for editing, BBEdit with custom swift language rocks

Honestly, I just keep finding bugs. More than I've found typical for an Xcode dot zero release. I think they reworked a lot of 'other' underlying code, porting it to Swift or whatever and just didn't really test it beyond their own in-house use cases.

I've already submitted two bugs not listed above (one related to accounts and one related to the text editor). I'm wondering if they're just repurposed their whole QA staff to other projects. I've had some of the aformentioned hangs, slow opening projects with lots of tabs/windows, more CPU going to Indexing/prebuilding, etc.

Really dissapointed by this release. It was not ready and certainly unworthy even for a .0 release.

9.1 release notes indicate Apple is oblivous to how poor the performance of the editor is, and most of the other bugs.

Yes, I am also struggling with Xcode 9 like your bugs list.
I am work with C++(COCOS2D-X Game Engine).
Xcode Project Shows me old code after renameing file when file open in project, if i open that file with option (Show in Finder) and open perticular file both code shows me diffrents. it's to much.
function ribbon with cnd+alt+right-arrow then presscmd+x to cut function code that time X-Code will crash
etc...
Many Bugs like this... i am waiting for new update with solve all issue.

Sadly xcode is unsaleable dross. Utter rubbish. I'm trying to teach using this steaming pile of excrement and hey, guess what? It doesn't work. Again, and again, and again...

HOW DO I GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION! THIS POS IS STUCK IN ARCHIVE MODE????

*** APPLE???? Why would you make a software that STOMPS on the previous version, and then make it nearly impossible to go back?

GOTTA GO TO ANDRIOD FOR NOW UNTIL THEY FIX THIS INSANITY!

Has anyone tested out some of the other editors out there? Need a more stable and predictable code editor than just relying on Apple to give you cryptic messages and NO FREAKING SUPPORT what so ever!

Please Help!