New App Store Ratings?

From the Developer New App Store Docs:

"Your app has one summary rating that displays on your product page .... You’ll soon be able to reset your app’s summary rating when you release a new version of your app. Consider using this feature sparingly ... having few ratings may discourage potential users from downloading your app."

So as of right now if a new version of an app is released the following happens:

Old App Store viewed on a iOS 10 device:

Under Reviews the "Current Version" shows no ratings. which is fine. Since users can click on the "All Versions" and see all the previous ratings. This is as it has always been.

New iOS 11 App Store as viewed on iOS 11 beta device:

There is only one rating show and it simply states "Not Enough Ratings" and no rating is shown at all. The old ratings for all previous versions of the app have simply disappeared.

This is very worrying for small indie developers that all there hard earned star ratings are going to simply disappear overnight if they release an update before iOS 11 is released on 19th Sept (or after).

So my question is on 19th September when iOS is released, is the rating on the New App Store going to switch to showing the "All Versions" rating from the old App Store (if so why isn't it doing that now?) or is it going to go to showing nothing when a new update is released. And we have to all start collecting ratings form scratch!

I do not want to lose all my apps star ratings. From what the Docs state I shoud have a Choice whether or not I do this.

But there is currently no option in iTunes Connect to reset or not reset summary ratings. The docs acknowledge that having few ratings discourages potential users form downloading your app, but at the moment we do not appear to be getting any choice over it.

Please can someone shed some light on how this is all going to be implemented, so all the small indie developers can stop worring and get some sleep before the 19th Sept when the world will all start seeing our apps ratings on the new App Store.

Thanks

Steve

Replies

I'm very interesting on it too.

Actually, I wait already about 3 weeks to submit my new version (which performs much better than current one, as Android release shown) because I dont want to lose 700+ ratings with 4.7 stars average.

I am with you on this one. I am waiting to release my updated version too.

More people to comment on this post as to get an answer.

I recently updated an app yesterday and it still has the ratings from the previous version, on iOS public beta

From what I do observe, starting from few days ago Apple stopped erasing your ratings when update comes to the AppStore. Lets say you have 20 ratings with average of 4.7 for your last version. When you submit the new version now, you keep these 20 ratings and 4.7 average to start with. So it is not an average for your whole history, but an average starting with your current version. This is true for both current AppStore and iOS 11 AppStore. At least for now.

+1

Ratings and average are showing for the Current Version on iOS 11, however, the reviews below it seems to be displaying from all the versions from initial release to latest. Anyone else seeing this?

+1

I'm very interesting on it too.

I would love to khow how to choose whether or not to reset ratings when updating.

UPDATE

So as of a couple of days ago it would appear that when a new update is released the Ratings are no longer reset. The Ratings form the previous version are still shown and new ratings are then added to these. 🙂

I guess the iTunes Connect option to reset rating for a new version release will be added at some point in the future.

But the issue that they were being reset when a developer did not want them reset, seems to now be resolved.

Looks like everything is ready for the general Apple iOS 11 release and the new App Store tommorrow.

I haven’t updated my (2) apps yet, but they are still showing the number of ratings for the current version on the iOS 11 App Store. Shouldn’t this be showing the number of ratings for "All Versions"?

Have everyone else also lost their ratings, now where Apple released iOS 11 public?

We created a 2.29 release of our app to be released with iOS 11 because of some quirks - we had been waiting to create the release to NOT loose our ratings, and there were no option to select to reset ratings at the time we submitted.

We were happy that the ratings were not reset when 2.29 got released - it showed ratings for both 2.28 and 2.29 - not all ratings, but at least it included those for current version.

Yesterday, when Apple released iOS 11 public, our ratings got reset, and now only shows ratings for 2.29 - additionally, there NOW is an option in the store to reset ratings.

So, **** you Apple for not giving us control of this during the betas of iOS 11, so that we loose our ratings because we attempt to ensure that users are not having problems under iOS 11, and therefore release our apps before the release of the OS.

We released iOS 11 GM built updates around Sept 17th so that all our apps were updated and ready for iOS 11 in time for the general release on Sept 19th. Surely Apple would encourage that behaviour from developers.

Since Sept 16th the New App Store (when viewed on iOS 11 beta device), has shown that the apps ratings for the previous version would not be wiped out. Any new ratings for the newly released version were just added to that total.

This was consistent with the Apple docs that described the behaviour of the new App Store in that I had not chosen to reset my app's ratings in iTunes Connect.

So I hit the release button for my updates.

At least thinking that my apps would keep the ratings amassed from the last version (if not any from all the previous years of versions).

But now today with the official release of iOS 11 all the ratings have been wiped and my apps only now shows the few rating I have got in the last couple of days on our new latest iOS 11 update.

And now to rub salt into the wound the “Don’t Wipe All My Ratings” button has just appeared on iTunes Connect!

Surely as developers we should have had a choice with the New App Store, not having it forced on us to wipe our ratings.

If all developers waited till today Sept 19th, to submit iOS 11 updates, the apps on the App Store would not be ready for the general release of the new iOS.

I do not think the way Apple has implemented this change this has been thought through properly. Because I do not believe, and really hope, that Apple would not behave in this way towards its developers.

I would ask that the ratings shown on the New App Store reflect the fact that developers have not requested to have any ratings reset throughout this whole beta period of the New App Store. Is this not the default behaviour of the new app store.

That is ratings that it should show to be consist wit the docs that Apple released. At this point now if developers want they can elect to have their ratings wiped in iTunes Connect when submitting a new update.

I previously have had only good things to say about developing apps for the Apple App Store, but right now I am rather ****** off.

+1

I am too very disappointed in this.

Especially also with the fact that this question was raised multiple times in the developer forums to know up front how it would be handled - and we received zero response from Apple.

Had we known, we would have waited a few days to update, to keep our ratings - sure, we had issues on iOS 11, but they were not bad, and users could easily have waited a week before getting them resolved.

What bugs me the most is that we have competitors that did not loose their ratings - they have the same amount of ratings they had earlier, despite having created a new version 3 days ago - something strange is going on here.

+1

Sent a mail for each of my apps to iTunes Help