No users after failed High Sierra upgrade

The High Sierra install failed after a while, and I was left with a broken system. On boot all I saw was a flashing folder with a question mark. I installed High Sierra from Recovery, but on boot it asks for a Disk Password, and does not accept the one I used to unlock the driver for installation.

I recovery mode I can unlock the drive, and I have used Disk Utility and terminal to verify that my files are actually not lost. I tried running resetpassword, but after examining the drive it said that there are no available users to reset the password from.

I thought a solution would be to boot into Singel User mode to create a user account with the same username, reusing the user-folder already there, but I can't enter single-user mode (Because of FileVault?).

- Should/can I decrypt the volume from Terminal in recovery, get into Single User mode and create a user?

- Any other ways to fix this? Can I mount /Volumes/MacHD from regular recovery and create a user from there?

Replies

Were you able to resolve this? I am having the same exact problem.

I have the same issue here.

I had this same problem on one machine I installed high sierra on (other was fine). I tried fixing the preboot after a recovery install. Also got stuck in a "disk password" loop that required a pram reset to enter internet recovery to begin with. Because the user accounts aren't associated properly, the preboot couldn't update right. Best solution I could think of (without reformatting) was to decrypt the drive and reencrypt if it works again. I'll follow-up with whether this decryption / reboot worked and got me back in the system or if further steps or a reformat were required. I'm surprised a bug this bad made it into the GM.

In the end, it didn’t work. Had to reformat. Disappointed that many are having the issue with GM, but overall High Sierra is great. Perils of a new file system and years if upgraded, etc. Everyone should backup before install!

I have the same problem too, I’m stuck with a MacBook Air and a flashing ? File sign, can’t reboot, get into diagnostics or anything