Web App Sandbox Changed

I'm seeing behaviour where multiple web apps (apple-mobile-web-app-capable) are reading from the same manifest file's application cache.

I load up one web app (send to homescreen, then launch app) and view the logging that shows the files were downloaded and cached. Then add the same app again (send to homescreen). In previous versions of iOS this would have then pulled all the files again. In the current iOS 11 Beta it immediatley shows there is no update available, indicating that it's sharing the application cache saved from the other app.

The sandbox now appears to be for the domain. I think this was the case in the very early iOS versions (like iOS 4 or something), but more recent versions had the sandbox per web app, even if they were duplicates.

I know the app cache is deprecated, but I'm hoping to continue using it until service workers come along.

Anybody seen similar or have any thoughts?

Replies

We are also dealing with strange behaviour with webapp (home screen shortcut).

1. I safari is disabled (via MDM profile) then web app shortcuts doesn't work at all.

2. Webapps (web clip), seems not to update the appcache manifest until changed in safari. If changes are made in safari browser, the web app also refreshes the content.

Seems like they tightly coupled the safari and web app sandbox and you cannot remote debug the web app anymore.

Till ios 10.3.3 everything worked fine. ios 11 and ios 11.0.1 both has same issue. This one is really a big flaw.