Time Machine in Beta 5 fixed to External HDD with APFS

FYI - Since updating to Beta 5, I can once again use Time Machine to backup to an external drive configured with APFS.

After Time Machine started working again in Beta 4, I unfortunately updated my exterrnal drive to APFS, which was a mistake that I read about too late. It killed Time Machine backups. I was tempted to buy a new external HDD, but I figured Apple would eventually want APFS to be used everywhere. Now, with Beta 5 Time Machine again works with that APFS externall HDD.

Replies

No it is not. When selecting an APSF drive in Beta 5 it asks you to wipe the APFS and convert it to HFS+

I also had a APSF TM backup and upon connecting it says tm-backup not possible. When clicking the red triangle it explains.

Also dragging the Backup.backup folder on the APFS to another APSF states that TM-backups need another filesystem (HFS+)

Peter,

So, I went back and checked it out - and you are correct. Under Beta 3-4, when my extrernal was APFS, I was stuck. Under Beta 5, it allowed me to erase the APFS external drive and restore it - I thought it was under APFS, but it did it in "MacOS Extended". At least backups work again.

Thanks for the clarification.