How to do a clean install of High Sierra Beta?

Hi,

I was unable to get High Sierra beta clean installation working 😟

My initial intention was to get a external USB drive formatted with an image of High Sierra beta, however, I was unable to do that. I formatted the external drive and the tried to execute this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled —applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

This didn't work and returned this error:

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

It would appear that the beta install application downloaded is not the full one 😐

So, instead, I went and installed the beta as is, directly in my system. This worked but this is now what I wanted since it had all the baggage of previous installation.

Then, I restarted my laptop and hit Cmd+R. With the recovery boot of High Sierra Beta, I erased the main mac drive and formatted it to be APFS. Then, I selected reinstalling OSX and after a while, it ended up with error:

"Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install."

So, my system was unusable now, and without an external bootable drive of High Sierra Beta, the only thing I could do is time machine back to my backup :(((

The actual version of the installed seems to be: 17A315f

Anyone got any luck doing a clean installation on the main drive?

Regards,

Galder

Replies

/I realize this may not help in your current unbootable predicament, but if you have another computer here are the steps to get past the "does not appear to be a valid OS installer application".

- Download the Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app

- Run the beta installer app and let it download the stuff and quit the app before restarting

- The stuff is installed in /macOS Install Data, copy that directory contents into Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport

- Run the createinstallmedia command like normal

I time machined to my Yosemite backup and I'm back up now. What you suggest doing seems tricky to do, because if you miss skipping before restart, the system starts installing immediately. Based on other forum posts, seems like some of the previous installers were downloaded in full first time around. Getting a hand on one of those would be a better alternative?

Tried this and it worked in getting a bootable USB pen drive working.

In terms of doing a clean install of APFS, the only instructions that seem to work now seem to be explained here.

I'll wait for next beta to try again.

How long is this going to be moderating? 😟

One day my previous comment will be moderate...

Anyway, I tried doing this and it worked in getting a bootable USB pen drive working.

In terms of doing a clean install of APFS, the only instructions that seem to work now seem to be explained in swissmacuser website.

Now that Beta5 is out, I'll give it a go again.

This doesn't work. The external bootable installer does not seem to do its job correctly. I get errors like:

macOS could not be installed on your computer
The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged.

Eventually I found a way to do this:

1. From 10.11 or 10.12 systems, format an external hard drive with at least 500gb with "Mac Os Extended Journaled".

2. Download High Sierra Beta and install it in the external hard drive.

3. When the system reboots and finishes installation, it will boot from the external HD. Go to Preferences and change Startup Disk to be main HD.

4. Reboot and press Option key when the computer makes a beep and select external HD to boot from it.

5. Once booted again into external HD, format main HD to be APFS.

6. Download High Sierra Beta from external HD booted system and install it in main HD.

7. Upon restart the main HD will be clean installed with High Sierra Beta and APFS formatted.

1. Download the macOS{Developer|Public}BetaAccessUtility.dmg

2. Mount the DMG and install the enclosed package. The final step of this installation process will open App Store.app.

3. Download the macOS High Sierra Beta installer. The download will be surprisingly quick - too quick actually. When the installer runs - quit. Note that the size of /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app is only ~11MB.

4. Delete it.

5. Open App Store.app and download it again. This time it will take MUCH longer with the result weighing in at about 5GB.

6. Open a terminal and - assuming your freshly partitioned (GPT, HFS+) USB key is named Untitled - run the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction

😁Thanks ,This is the solution that i wanna find.😁😁