Apple Pencil Pairing Issues

Is anybody else having a probelm pairing an Apple Pencil. I insert it into my new 2gen iPad Pro 12.9 and it briefly shows the dialog to Pair and then shows it connected, but then disconnects, and then I get an Error that the Pencil took to long to pair. Then it doesn't work.

Am I alone in having this issue.

Thanks,

Nick

• I bought my new iPad pro 4th gen with a pencil 2 18 months ago. Went to charge it and found pencil not pairing.. did all the trouble shooting from online forums, then the apple call centre and then went to the apple store for their tech people to take a look. They concluded the pairing issue is a hardware issue. The iPad had to be replaced. iPad is out of warranty and so it was gonna cost me 600 bucks to replace it. To add insult to injury the replacement was only gonna have a 90 day warranty despite it being a new out of package product, albeit 4th gen. Apple wanted to credit us $300 for what is otherwise a perfectly good ipad. This policy of apple is sheer arrogance. We pay so much for their products. It is unreasonable for a $1300 product to fail in just 18 months. Australian consumer law would have protected me here if I were in Australia as they state that it is a lawful expectation that these products should be fail proof for 2 years. Customers expect that for premium pricing they should get a solid sense of ownership from Apple of the issues that have to do with defective products. The staff agreed with me that the iPad was kept in very good condition. Apple really had no way of fixing this issue in terms of iPad repair or helping us with a free of charge replacement. Quite upset about the whole thing really. We have spent thousands with applle buying all their devices over the years. We honestly felt they could do better

Add a Comment

Replies

I wound up running into this as well. I back-levelled the OS to iOS 10 and the same thing happened. It turned out that the pencil's battery could not hold a charge.

After one year i tried to use my pencil again and i have the same kind of problem. First i got messages there wa sonly 3% battery left. Charging didn't helped. I tried a reset of the ipad pro even a hard reset, nothing helped. I went to the apple store and they couldn't help, they don't know if there is a problem and the warranty was expended.(14 months, pffffff ) Back home i tried to charge the pencil true USB with the adaptor and after 15 tries of plugging it in and out of the ipad suddenly i got connected for 7 seconds, then disconnected again, and then connected again for a few seconds. Because of the short period of connection i could see that the battery of the pencil was at 100 % again but still it can't keep the connection. The icon of bluetooth at the top of the ipad is blinking all the time. After awhile the same problem of the beginning had came back and I get an Error that the Pencil took to long to pair. And again the same pairing problem came back. Ipad sees the pencil but it can't pair with it. Its a brand new pencil i only used it once when i bought it and left in the box for over a year. So it must be a hardware problem, so apple fix it please.

• I have almost same problem. can not pair after months not using the IPad and the pen. Apple should fix this issue free if this a software problem. they guided me to a fixing service and For fixing after the price is almost same with the purchase new one.

Add a Comment

i'm having the same exact issues. Trek all the solutions other posters have noted with no success. However I can pair a $19 Wacom stylus with no problem While the $99 Apple Pencil is virtually useless until Apple does something.

I am not having the same problems, what I am having is the Apple Pencil Losing paring. I have my pencil is never less than 2 meters from the my iPad Pro 10.5, I am on iOS 11.0.3. Everyday I have to plug the pencil into the port so it pair. This didn't happen in iOS 10.x

Hello,

Sadly having exactly the same problem you describe.

Hope that if we're enough people submitting the issue that Apple will fix the issue.

Regards,

Luc

Im having the same issue with my pencil...have u found out a solution to this?

I have this exact issue as well. I'm visiting a genius bar this week but I have a feeling that it is a hardware issue and since it is a little over a year old, Apple won't be helpful 😟

It is sad to pay $99 for a small accessory and then it dies so quickly...

same thing here i did and update and having the same issues is not pairing connect and disconect what is the solution reverse to 10 or early version of IOS ?

Same exact thing for me. My wife bought this pencil brand new with her ipad. Used it MAYBE 6 or 7 times initially, and set it aside. She couldn't find it for a year. It somehow found itself in an old purse under the bed. So this went unused for a year. Same thing happens to me.....connects, then disconnects, states 3% life. Plug it in to charger, charge it, plug it in to ipad, and it again states 3%, connects, disconnects. Does the same thing wit her newer ipad, and my 2016 ipad pro. I took it to the retailer that we bought it from, and I was 14 days beyond the 1-year mark. Really disappointing to spend $99 on an ipencil that doesn't work after a year. By the way, this was the third one we have paid for. I had 2 for my ipad. I left one on an airplane, and bought a replacement, which I used religiously, daily for 2 years, until my dog chewed it up. This one, (my wife's), used only a few times, and then after a year, it doesn't work????? VERY DISAPPOINTED IN APPLE
I’ve been having this issue for the past 3 months and it has gotten harder and harder to pair. I finally called about it and they recommend I pay $29 +tax and a hold charge of $158 on my credit card for replacement. I think that is ridiculous to have to pay since some of these pencils are obviously duds! At that price I should’ve just purchased a third party pencil because at least when they stop working then it wouldn’t be a surprise! Apple please fix the issue with the hardware and stop charging for a replacement or extend your one year limited warranty!
I have the exact same problem . The pencil not pairing and only showing 3% battery .

its surprising to see that the issue was reported 3 years ago and since then nothing has been done . Clearly shows that apple only wants people to spend money and doesnt really value their customers feedback .
I’m having this problem now. Did you figure out a solution to fix it?
I've been having this issue for a few months now. Have been unsuccessful in finding a fix. Still no remedy?
I had the same exact issue and was ready to buy a new pencil, I saw a youtube video of someone saying the battery in the pencil just needed to heat up to be reactivated, I figured I had nothing to lose so I held it under a hair dryer on hight for 2-3 minutes, I plugged it into my iPad and it now works with out any issues. Hope this helps, give it a try
  • Thank you so much for your contribution, this worked also for me to solve the same problem. Though this was hard to believe for me.

• This worked ! Thanks you!

• I've been desperately trying to find a solution, and didn't think it would work, but instantly came back to life and connected! Thank you so much!

As incredible as it may seems - with the same issue, i also heated the pencil with a hairdryer (i only held it for one minute or so) and then the pencil was detected and started charging again.
  • I had not used ever used my apple pencil, I don't even know how long it was sitting in the drawer. I just tried to pair it for the first time and it would not pair. The question about pairing would briefly appear then disappear. Turned off IPad several times, etc. Finally found this forum. I heated up the pencil, like someone suggested. I just used a craft heat gun, for maybe a minute. I have to say this works. My pencil was at zero, now it's charging and paired.

• This worked instantly! I can’t believe it! I was so sad my Apple Pencil wouldn’t work and now it does. Thank you!

Add a Comment