MacBook 7,1 (2010) Sleep Problem on macOS 10.13 Beta (17A264c)

Hi there, everyone.

I'm not entirely sure this is the best place to be asking this question, but I have recently updated my 2010 White Unibody MacBook (not Pro) to the latest macOS 10.13 beta (17A264c) over my 10.12.5 installation and now whenever I leave my MacBook on sleep mode for too long, the "sleep light" will stay white and stop "breathing." When this happens, I am unable to wake my computer up, and am forced to shut down by holding down the power button. I have already reset the PRAM and SMC, neither of which has fixed the problem. I know I am on a beta version, so I'm not expecting a solution, but was mostly just curious if anyone else has had this problem on any other versions of macOS, and how they solved it. This problem wasn't happening on 10.12 Sierra, so I'm assuming it's just one of the problems with having a beta installation, but if anyone else had this issue, I'd be happy to hear your feedback. Also, where do I submit a bug to apple? Thank you.

Link to my MacBook's specs:

MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

Edit: It appears that others have this issue as well, on a large number of MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and while most reports are from 2010, there was one I saw from a 2015 MacBook Pro, so I have assumed that this is an issue that Apple will fix in a newer beta. A temporary workaround is to manually tell it to sleep from the dropdown menu in the top left corner, and then close the lid, as that seems to work fine. I will test it out to confirm.

Edit 2: Yes, the sleep menu works, but is far from a solution. Please report this to Apple, and while I woulddo the same, I'm not sure where to do so, any help with this?

Edit 3: Problem still persists on macOS 10.13 Beta 2 (17A291j)

Edit 4: Problem still persists on macOS 10.13 Beta 3 (17A306f)

Edit 5: Some users have had success with the solution in this post however it does not work for everyone. The solution is to use the command

pmset -g custom

in terminal.app to check the status of the "standby" and "hibernate" options, with 1 and 3 being the correct values, respectively. However, in my case, and many others, there is no "standby" line there, and changing it with

sudo pmset standby 1

does nothing. It stays gone, and the problem still persists.

Accepted Reply

Try setting hibernate mode to 0. That should work.

Replies

Try setting hibernate mode to 0. That should work.

Thank you for your help! This doesn't necesarily solve my issue, in the fact that my MacBook doesn't appear to actually fall asleep, rather just the screen turns off and the sleep light comes on, and when opening back up, the MacBook immediately wakes, to the desktop, immediately resuming what I was doing, rather than displaying my lock screen, but for now, this will at least let me manually put my MacBook back to sleep when I accidentally close the lid instead of using the menu item. I'm curious as to the battery life of this method vs actually putting it to sleep though, since I presume that the state it's in now will drain battery quicker than a true "sleep," but only time, and testing, will tell. Either way, thank you very much! Hoping Apple officially resolves this in a later update to High Sierra.

Edit: After further research I found that setting "hibernatemode 0" will just keep the RAM on, and in the event of loss of power, I will lose the contents of the RAM, since the default, "hibernatemode 3" both uses the ram as the primary place to sleep/wake from, but also copies the RAM to the HDD/SSD in case of power loss. Interesting... By that reasoning, I should have no loss of extra battery, have quicker sleep/wake, andhave less reads/writes to my SSD, so all around, a plus! The only thing is trying to make it display the "Lock Screen" instead of immediately on the desktop for security reasons... Anyway, thank you!

Edit 2: Derp, I just realized my MacBook was set to lock the screen after 5 mins of sleep, which is odd, since it does it immediately after using the menu option, but no matter, it works! Thank you LarryJoe33! You've saved me!