Pairing with watch impossible after update

I have an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11 Beta 1 and an Apple Watch 1st Gen. Running watchOS 4 Beta 1. I had to reset my watch to factory settings and am now trying to pair it again. Scanning the animation works fine and iPhone asks me if I want to restore or set up as new watch. Either one I choose it gets stuck trying to log me in with my Apple ID. It's loading all the time trying to activate it on the phone and nothing happens. When I touch the back arrow, it only allows me to reset the watch again and I start over. Cannot use my watch! Anyone having the same issue?

Replies

Similar situation here. Upgraded watch 1st gen and 6s to the first betas. The watch is visible and enabled on the iPhone's bluetooth. The watch unlocks my MacBookPro without glitches. However when using the iPhone app, it can't do anything with the watch. It will say the watch is offline. Changing faces won't do anything.

Now I was about to reset the device, and probably won't do it anymore, if it makes the watch broken.

My friends, try several times ... the same happened to me and after not finding the solution on the internet I kept trying ... the last time I did it with the code press in the I. And it works ...

Same exact issue as the original poster. I have found no solution.

Looks like when the initial paired set are upgraded the issues are minor.

However, if you downgrade the phone and later upgrde it back to iOS 11 and attempt a pairing of the watch you will get a failed to pair code. I have found no solution or workaround including a hard reset of the watch. You also cannot reset the watch and pair with a non-iOS 11 phone (says not on latest software).

I hav tried downgrading both and pairing and that doesn't work either, the phone cannot be downgraded and iOS 10.3.3 cannot pair with the WatchOS 4

Go on your iPhone and sign out of iMessage. Was having same problem and this fixed it for me. Still took ~4 minutes to get past that Apple ID screen but it did work. If this still doesn't work try signing out of iCloud altogether.

I've tried this but with no luck unfortunately. Has anyone else had the same issue or have any other suggestions?

Hi All,

if you're hitting this, we'd love to get more information to investigate further. Please use Bug Reporter to file a report and please include a sysdiagnose taken from your iPhone after reproducing the failed pairing session.

Thanks!

-nick