upgrade external drive to apfs

I have my time machine on an external drive and I want to upgrade my drive to apple's new file system. How can i do so because when i try moving my backup file from my external drive to the desktop I get, "The volume is the wrong format for a backup."

Accepted Reply

Time Machine depends on directory hard links. APFS (like every filesystem other than HFS+) doesn't support directory hard links. Converting an HFS+ volume to APFS turns all the directory hard links into symlinks, which breaks Time Machine. So right now it won't let you convert a Time Machine backup drive to APFS.

Presumably they'll make an APFS snapshot-based Time Machine at some point, but it doesn't appear to be here yet. And even when that happens, I can't imagine them being able to convert a Time Machine backup stored in the current format into APFS snapshots.

Replies

Time Machine depends on directory hard links. APFS (like every filesystem other than HFS+) doesn't support directory hard links. Converting an HFS+ volume to APFS turns all the directory hard links into symlinks, which breaks Time Machine. So right now it won't let you convert a Time Machine backup drive to APFS.

Presumably they'll make an APFS snapshot-based Time Machine at some point, but it doesn't appear to be here yet. And even when that happens, I can't imagine them being able to convert a Time Machine backup stored in the current format into APFS snapshots.