Bricked iMac 5K

As an Apple developer downloaded the installer, and it restarted and started installing. After about 30 minutes it said it could not install MacOS and said needed to restart. Then got an error in mutliple langueges and in the top left showed some terminal code, and kept starting and restarting about 4 times in a loop until showing a circle with a dash thorugh it (no smoking sign), and then went black. Same issue if manually restart. No way to get out of this. Have a wireless keyboard so will so if I can wire up with thunderbolt cable to get into safe mode to reinstall Sierra, otherwise Eek!

This is on a new iMac 5K that was upgrading from the latest dev version of Sierra.

Replies

Held down CMD + R for about 60 seconds and finally got into Disk Utility mode. Ran First Aid on Macintosh HD and shows green checkmark with no details.

Clicked resinstall macOS 10.13 Sierra in the recovery tool, and is continuing installation now. Will update if it works or if it bricks again. In the meantime you may want to wait before upgrading.

Update - Just popped up with the error again macOS could not be installed on your computer

Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

Restart (button)

And has a picture of Sierra in a circle above.

Clicking restart makes the normal ding, then shows the apple icon and a progress bar half full and says Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining...

Something tells me its going to do this for 20 or 30 minutes and then give the same error again in this endless loop. Ugh.

Sale here, on my MacBook Pro 2016.

have ether of you got a partion with bootcamp if so might need to remove it..I removed mine and cant download bootcamp software, so it may not support boot camp..iMac 21.5 2013 late..Whent on very straight amay. selecteted apple file system.

No, don't have Bootcamp or any special partiions. It's just the default iMac Fusion drive 3TB. Also had the new file system selected (which was checked off by default).

Could be it dosent like fusion drives yet I have SSD only

Any chance they pulled the update? I have yet to see it listed. Based on the few threads, it may be a good thing.

its still thre

I'm running 10.12.6 Beta (16G12b). Do I have to be on the release version?

its still thre and i Instaled it with 10.12.6 on the machine..Make sure you download the new beta utility also sign out of the app stor restatr mac then sign back in and re run utillity should then take you straight to download page

Thanks. I ended up booting into 10.12.5 and downloaded the installer from there. I guess I should have restarted after running the new beta updater when I was in 10.12.6. It's installing now. Hopefully it won't brick my iMac 5K as well. lol

Went through the loop issue a few more times and eventually it installed thankfully.

So if the above happens to you, do CMD + R (hard wire your keyboard), reinstall there. It will most likely fail several times but keep persisting, and hopefully will eventually install as it did for me. The progress bar will show only as half way the entire time.

Hi. I tried the CMD R but the only install choice is the current High Sierra beta. So I tried installing it again, but I’m still in this endless crash/loop. Any other way to get back to the current staple release of Sierra? I have a late 2015 Retina MacBook Pro.

FWIW, it took nearly 2 hrs to install 10.3 on my IMac 5k with a 2TB drive which was only 25% full. I assume it took that long converting to the new file system. I didn't do anything while it ran.

So far so good. Seems a tad quicker.

I didn’t have any issues installing other then when it starts to boot after the full install it’s stuck on the circle spin thing ... been here for an hour or two

Did you see any other text before the panic screen. Mine kicked out a /sbin/launchd failed on /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs......

also a iMac 5K/ 3TB fusion