End user UX issues with HotSpotHelper

When the end user is looking at the Settings / Wifi network list, I need to add my app to the exclude_list

kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList issues

If the password on the wifi endpoint has changed, I need to update the local password cache. Right now the user is prompted for the password. My app has no idea that a password is invalid. The ideal solution would tell my app that this UX failed. Ideally, offer to cache and save the user-provided password

2. The end user, or my app may need to revise our confidence rating, and no longer be listed no that SSID/BSSID as a helper app. The only way I've found to fix this is to uninstall the app and reboot the phone. Is there a special return code, or value in the NetworkList I need to set?

Replies

When the end user is looking at the Settings / Wifi network list, I need to add my app to the exclude_list

kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList issues

I’m sorry but I don’t understand this part of your question.

1. If the password on the wifi endpoint has changed, I need to update the local password cache. Right now the user is prompted for the password. My app has no idea that a password is invalid. The ideal solution would tell my app that this UX failed. Ideally, offer to cache and save the user-provided password

There isn’t any support for this. You can see this thread for some background on this.

2. The end user, or my app may need to revise our confidence rating, and no longer be listed no that SSID/BSSID as a helper app. The only way I've found to fix this is to uninstall the app and reboot the phone. Is there a special return code, or value in the NetworkList I need to set?

No. As with the above, the current hotspot helper architecture does not have the flexibility you need, and I encourage you to file an enhancement request describing your requirements.

Please post the numbers of any bugs you file, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The hotspot helper docs refer to an internal structure called the exclude_list. I'm using that same word for consistency

Based on my reading of the documentation, apps that either dont claim a network during the filter phase or are present in the "exclude_list" will not be displayed. I want to learn more about what conditions cause an entry to be created in the "exclude list".

Conversely, any app that has ever added itself to the .networks property during the filter phase never have a way of getting unlisted.

In the example below, I want to remove "VIP Card" from one endpoint, but keep it present on another.

http://imgur.com/a/EZifX