Xcode 8.3 product modules in red

After updating to newly released Xcode 8.3, each time I open or build a project the product modules are shown in red color. Even if I create a new project its product modules are "red". (before or after building or clean then build). What does this mean and how can I fix it?

(Additional notes: the products are built successfully and run as expected; also if I "right" click on the product module name and then "show in finder" it will locate and display the module correctly.)

Also, these are os x apps, not ios.

Replies

I’ve seen this before but I’ve never got to the bottom of what’s causing it. You should definitely file a bug about this. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

On the plus side, at least it’s not preventing you from getting work done.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I'd wait for Xcode v8.3.1 - should be RSN, I think.

thanks; I did file a bug; number is 31308317

Having the same issue with Xcode 8.3.1, while building a simple framework for iOS the file in the Products folder is always red. even after cleaning the product.

Having the same issue with Xcode 8.3.1, while building a simple framework for iOS the file in the Products folder is always red. even after cleaning the product.

After updating to newly released Xcode 8.3, each time I open or build a project the product modules are shown in red color. Even if I create a new project its product modules are "red". (before or after building or clean then build). What does this mean and how can I fix it? (Additional notes: the products are built successfully and run as expected; also if I "right" click on the product module name and then "show in finder" it will locate and display the module correctly.) Also, these are os x apps, not ios.

I don't see that bug. In fact, I dont' see any bugs. Is it a brand new bug tracker? Or is Apple broken?

Not broken. Devs can only see their own bugs.

Hi, did you actually try running your app on a real device or just in the simulator ? cause I have the problem only real devices.

I'm also facing same problem.

>> I'm also facing same problem.

There is no real problem.

1. The items listed under "Products" are information-only. They do not take part in the build process, but rather are the output of the build process. They exist only to give you a way of finding your build products (which isn't normally necessary, anyway).

2. Xcode shows an item in red when the corresponding file is missing. Of course the items in "Products" are red after you clean the project, because cleaning deletes those files. They will be re-created at the next build.

3. Yes, there is a bug that the items stay red after the products are built, so you can't see what has been built and what has not. However, as the OP noted, you can still "Reveal in Finder". The bug is cosmetic only.

I had this problem after removing a watchos app. I fixed it by editing the xcworkspace file 'project.pbxproj'. Search for the filenames and deleted the section. They dessapeared and everything compiled and ran OK.