Using EKCalendarChooser leads to request to access contacts

Hi,

I'm using a EKCalendarChooser to let the user choose a calendar to create events in. But when EKCalendarChooser is used for the first time iOS tells me my app wants to access my contacts. But my app does not access any contacts. And even when I answer with "Don't Allow" the calendar chooser seems to work smoothly.

Is there any reason for this and how can I prevent iOS from asking this needless question.

Dirk

Accepted Reply

No, there currently does not appear to be a way to prevent this from happening. What's happening is that Event Kit is trying to use Contacts to nicely format the names for attendees/organizers based on your Contacts. If you say Don't Allow on the contacts you'll presumably just get whatever data is in the events, whereas if you said Allow then the results might be different if you have other information in your Contacts database. So it's not necessarily a needless question.

The permission alert should be picking up the usage description string from your app's Info.plist file so if your app doesn't otherwise use Contacts you could conceivably clarify it there to help users understand why they're being asked.

Replies

No, there currently does not appear to be a way to prevent this from happening. What's happening is that Event Kit is trying to use Contacts to nicely format the names for attendees/organizers based on your Contacts. If you say Don't Allow on the contacts you'll presumably just get whatever data is in the events, whereas if you said Allow then the results might be different if you have other information in your Contacts database. So it's not necessarily a needless question.

The permission alert should be picking up the usage description string from your app's Info.plist file so if your app doesn't otherwise use Contacts you could conceivably clarify it there to help users understand why they're being asked.

Hi, thanks fpr the explanation. I will definitely add a usage description.

Dirk