WatchOS 3.2 beta2 breaks Apple Pay

In Japan we use Suica for most things, buses, trains, taxis, stores, vending machines, etc., and until now it has worked flawlessly on Apple Watch. The new beta2 however breaks Apple Pay such that it is now necessary to double click the side button every time you want to use it. I don't know if this would affect use of Apple Pay in other countries. This is a major inconvenience that will hopefully be fixed in beta3.

Replies

Hi bill_jpn_morgan,

Thanks for your note on this possible regression in Beta 2 - we'd love to take a look. Can you help by doing the following?

Please install the relevent logging profiles (ApplePay and sysdiagnose in your case):

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?platform=watchos

Reproduce the problem as best you can, trigger a sysdiagnose on your Apple Watch, and file an issue using the bug reporter (and attach the co-sysdiagnose!). That'll help with getting important information to understand what's happening on your device.

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply and the instructions for trying to log the problem. However, the problem is that nothing happens, i.e. holding the Watch next to a reader does nothing at all. If I double click the side button and select Suica, it works fine. So I'm not sure that holding the Watch next to a reader and then triggering a sysdiagnose on the Watch would be of any help.

Sometimes the user-facing symptom doesn't tell the full story, and additional logging can help us investigate futher. Even a lack of logs for an event can tell us something interesting. 🙂

We'd love to see a issue filed and logs to try to get to the bottom of what you're seeing. Can you also verify that your card is set up as an express transit in your Wallet & Apple Pay settings on your Phone?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I'm currently dealing with health problems that make it difficult for me to do certain things. I can confirm that the Suica card is set up as the express transit card. I'll try to get those logs as soon as I'm able. Thanks.