App Store Updates Tab Frozen

All

I have one machine clean installed on El Capitan beta 2 that doesn't have this issue but my other machine running El Capitan Beta 1 started experiencing an App Store freeze today. Specifically when clicking on the Updates tab it spins and never shows the update screen. I end up having to force quit. Before today I was able to see the updates in there without issue.

Anyone else seeing this ?

Replies

No worries, cleared out stale plists and updates folder and after a restart was able to get this to respond. Thanks

Spoke to soon, it populated the updates list but still just hangs sitting there after. Let me know if others have seen this on beta 1 or 2 and I will get a bug filed. Thanks

Yes, I had this issue and reported it via bug reporter. softwareupdated was the part actually hung, consuming 50-80% CPU. force quit that and app store. log out of app store account in system prefs. restart. log back in. so far so good.

Running El Capitan Beta 1. Went to App Store to update to Beta 2. Shows updates available. Go to Updates Tab, then within a few seconds, it starts spinning circle checking for updates. The Beta 2 had shown since I went to the update tab. From that point it was spinning and effectively frozen. I did see in Activity Monitor softwareupdated taking up all the CPU so killed it.

While it may help to log out and log back into the App Store, you may also have trouble even doing this if the App Store is not responsive. What helped a bit was to boot into recovery mode (Command +R) on reboot and Run Disk First Aid from Disk Utility.

Anyway, here's what didn't work:

Selecting the Update button next to El Capitan Beta 2.

Here's what worked:

Selecting the "Update All" button from the top of the Update screen above the list of updates.

But, after I selected Update All, nothing happened as far as I could see. When I went to Force Quit the App Store because it appeared unresponsive, it asked if I wanted to continue in progress downloads. I said yes. Then after some time the pop up notification appeared asking to restart my computer because updates were available. I restarted and it updated to El Capitan Beta 2.

So it was running the update downloads in the background while at the same time the App Store was frozen/unresponsive. At this point it may have been the case that when I selected the Update button next to just the El Capitan Beta 2 update, it started to download that in the background, but there's no indication to the user it's doing this. Meanwhile, I had been restarting my computer and going in and out of what ended up being a frozen App Store App. So in the end, this App Store frozen issue may be because when you select to update El Capitan, it starts the download but the App Store freezes.

So give your system an hour or two to finish downloading the update in the background and wait for the restart prompt. If that doesn't happen, then it may be likely that there wasn't a background download happening. In this case, try other things like booting into recovery, running disk first aid, and making sure to log out of the App Store as well. Then try to update again but this time by selecting the Update All button in the App Store. You may need to be quick to select the Update All button because it goes away quickly in my case and is replaced on the left with a spinning circle and the text "Checking for updates..."