ARD will not work in 10.12.4

I get a "The Remote Desktop administrator software must be upgraded on this computer. Click “Check for Updates” to search for updated software." but no update is available.

**Edit**

Apple Remote Desktop 3.9 Admin beta build 382A81.dmg

There's a beta build available of 3.9 but I haven't tried it yet with 12.10.4

Replies

Same issue here.

Same here

Same here, no surprise.

In the past Apple would provide an updated download for developers for ARD to keep things going. Again, focus seems to be slipping, so why would this be a surprise... 😟 😟 😟

Any workarounds anyone is aware of would be appreciated.

That worked for me:

Disable System Integrity Protection

Delete /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement

Edit /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist - change OS version to 10.10.6

Download and install ARD Client 3.8.5.1

Revert OS version to 10.12.4

I found that that beta build of ARD Admin 3.9 doesn't work very well? Adding clients (even 10.12.4 clients) do not verify but you can "add anyway" -- and you can no longer see "Current User" after you add the client (or upgrade from 3.8...)

Anybody seeing similar with that? I'm hoping they will have a new beta soon for this that's a little more robust.

Link not working here, it asks me to login again, and then the file is not found. what to do?

Worked earlier....borked now. Rescinded I guess. Wait and check again later.

No joy on that link here either. Options?

Go to the Downloads page for developers, then at the bottom of the page click See more downloads and you'll see it dated Jan 11.

Be careful with the ARD 3.9 version - it will not connect to older versions of ARD at all. I tried upgrading other machines and it ended up completely borking one of them - caused it to freeze periodically until I force shutdown and disabled ARD on it.

I'm in the process of disabling SIP on both machines now so I can copy the previous version of ARD back.

Like they say... never, EVER, try Apple beta software on a production machine.

Thanks for the pointer - hadn't seen the More Downloads pointer - but still no joy as I don't have a paid Developer account and am only doing the OS / iOS / XCode beta programs. My group of admin'ed machines is small enough that I can deal with some delay i getting 3.9, but it'd be nice to know that this problem has been recognized and is being worked on.

> That worked for me:

> Disable System Integrity Protection

#coldChills

Screen sharing works. You can even drag and drop files now, which is amazing. I even logged in to a server that is 10.7.5 (from 10.12.4)

You can actually fullly work/interoperate with older ARD client installs, at least everything I have tried seems to work.

At first I looked at the commandsin the "SEED COMMANDS" menu item in the "Remote Desktop" menu. Not sure exactly what they do, but they (at least not alone) did not fix the problem.

However, in the preferences of Apple Remote Desktop you will find a checkbox for "Allow communication with older clients (less secure)" in the Security section. That seems to have worked for me here.

This restored my ability to administer the clients without having to mess with SIP and without having to upgrade the clients to pre-release software.

Are you able to see "Current Users", though (for hostname-added computers?) I did the 10.12.4 update and *then* the ARD 3.9 seed update -- in that order -- and all I get is "A critical error has occurred" when launching ARD admin and no Current User listed.

The app eventually refreshes the "current status" and I can presume that "Screen Sharing Available" means the computers are reachable (which they are), but the "Current User" is not showing.

Which makes it hard to use. But I'm wondering if others installed things in a different order and they are working properly? Like 10.12.3 --> ARD 3.9 --> 10.12.4?