El Capitan Beta 2 Will not boot

I've updated El Capitan to Beta 2 and now it will not boot. I get to unlock the FileVault Drive, it starts loading and then dies atmaybe 3/4 of the loading bar.

I suspect this is related to an issue that occurred before, where, after logging into appleid.apple.com I was forced to change my iCloud password and then the system refused to connect to iCloud on my MacBook, the preference pane always froze. The system continued to work, but then this has happened.

Has anybody had this issue?

I've tried reinstalling, but that won't go after AppStore Signup and then it freezes or tells me my password is incorrect (which is obviously not the case, since I've just used it to decrpyt my filevault...)

Accepted Reply

Many people had this same issue with the preference pane freezing after earlier being required to change password. I solved it by deleting all files from the following folder:

<EL CAPITAN PARTITION>/Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts

Then rebooting.

I was then able to get into the iCloud preference pane, where it asked me for my new password. After giving it, all was working again.

In your case, you'd have to boot into another partition and delete it from there (alternatively perhaps Safe Mode would work booting into the El Capitan partition)

Please let me know how you get on because there is someone else with a similar roadblock.

Replies

Many people had this same issue with the preference pane freezing after earlier being required to change password. I solved it by deleting all files from the following folder:

<EL CAPITAN PARTITION>/Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts

Then rebooting.

I was then able to get into the iCloud preference pane, where it asked me for my new password. After giving it, all was working again.

In your case, you'd have to boot into another partition and delete it from there (alternatively perhaps Safe Mode would work booting into the El Capitan partition)

Please let me know how you get on because there is someone else with a similar roadblock.

Thanks for your response!

I had tried removing the files before, but didn't restart and I assumed that it didn't work.

So what I have done now, was to open the recovery assistant, remove the incriminated files using Terminal, reboot and that allowed the installation to continue and finish successfully.

Now I'm back in my system, Beta 2 successfully installed and all (incl. preferences panel) working correctly.

Good to hear, and thanks for describing your process.

"So what I have done now, was to open the recovery assistant, remove the incriminated files using Terminal, reboot and that allowed the installation to continue and finish successfully."

How exactly did you do this? I believe I'm in the same situation and I can't figure it out.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Just had to select the Macintosh HD volume using cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

and from there navigate to the iCloud folder and delete the Accounts folder. Then, after a restart, everything worked fine.