Beacon Ranging Problem in 10?

Hi,

Since iOS 10 we have found that the beacon side of our application is failing, namely the DidRange callback is no longer being fired. Looking through the code on my way in this morning, I cannot see anything we have changed in the git blame since around 3 months ago.

I Know with 10 there are a lot more permission keys needed in the info.plist - however from reading the docs I can find nothing relating to beacon's, just location. Furthermore reading the various doc's related to beacon's I cannot see a change in the spec for iOS 10. We had run the application on the 10 Beta's and there was no problem with our beacon component.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any problem's with beacons or knows of a permissions change which affects?
Many Thanks,

Jayden

Replies

Seems the answer to this SO question may be pointing in the right direction

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/63792

Hi Jayden,

We are also facing a lot of issues in iOS10. The same code works in iOS9 and even after Swift2.3 conversion is behaving erraticaly in iOS10. We have logged the issues we are facing in a Stackoverlay thread here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39638067/swift2-3-code-for-beacon-detection?noredirect=1#comment66581038_39638067

Hi Cennest,

What devices are you expierencing this on? We are only expierencing this on 7's and 7+'s running 10 - any other models are fine.

Jayden

We have currently tried on 2 iPAD Airs running iOS10. Any device running iOS9 is fine. Also what SO link were you referring to? The link if your comment seems wrong.

We are experiencing similar issues with using iBeacons for our Drive Log App https://www.tourapp.io

Same version that was on the app store for 3 months suddenly has issues when running on iOS 10.

Only thing I could find so far: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ranging-beacons-in-ios-10-swift.1999381/

We created a version built with Xcode 8, converted to Swift 2.3, deployment target 8.0 - still the same problem

I've got the same problem, anyone found a solution yet?

My colleague raised a DTS and I preemptivley filed a bug report - neither of which have recieved any response.

Joining the party here...

Can confirm having the same issue since using iOS 10.

When ranging, the measurements of RSSI yields a saw pattern (signal drops). Setting the airplane mode on and then off again, the RSSI signal levels look good (no saw pattern). Then, when connecting to a bluetooth audio device, the issue (occasionally) reappears.

The devices tested are iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S. OS versions are iOS 10 GM and iOS 10.1 (14B67).

Hello,

We are facing the same issue, with iPad Mini 2 and iOS 10.0.2

Beacons in didRangeBeacons are inconsistently detected - same code works fine on iOS 9.3.2

Hi All,

Thought i would post an update, my colleagues conversing with DTS over this although they seem to be a bit slow! Ive filed a bug report although it has not been picked up.

We have tested around 10 devices now and the outcome differs not only by device but also randomnly - ie sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. The most common result on iOS 10 is nothing happens, second most is no region events are fired, just ranging and then it stops!

I will post any replies if we make some progress!

Hi, same issue here, this is really annoying, for a tech that Apple came up with and wants developers to leverage...

We were in contact with DTS a few weeks ago but every then went quiet. I was hoping they fixed or even addressed the issue in the last iOS update but the problem is still inherant.

Same issues here, even with 10.1.1

In foreground, beacon detection and ranging "kind of" works. We still get some empty arrays of beacons when raginging.

In background though, it randomly fails to detect beacons (which also means no ranging)

did you find a solution to your problem. I'm facing the same issue.

Hi All,

Thought I would post an update here. DTS are being rather slow - we've been told its still under 'investigation'. Since this is impacting our business quite seriously we have started playing around with some other ways to communicate with beacons.

We use a range of beacons, primarily from China and what is interesting is that the library they provide (that uses CoreBlutooth, CBManager etc) works without fail as its not using BLE but normal bluetooth (kind of goes against the fundamental's of a beacon I suppose). Although all the manufacturer's we use tell us that we should use their libraries, but it seems that some of them can reproduce the problems we have too! So at the moment whilst Apple seems to brush this aside, it seems the only possible way to work with Beacon's is tell our users to use an old phone or drink more battery using Core Bluetooth.

Is anyone here using Estimote beacons? I saw some problems over on their forums when iOS 10 was released, but things have quietened down now. If they have managed to fix it, it would be interesting to find out how.

Just to give a summary on what we think is causing the problem (if anyone wants to try and reproduce that would be great!) - on devices that don't pickup beacons as ive explained previously, if you do a hard reset on the phone we find that for a short period (varies) after it restarts that Beacon's will work fine. This has pushed us to the conclusion that there is something going wrong in the CLBeacon library - we have relayed this to apple, but heard nothing back.

Jayden