Sierra GM leads to enormous slow-down

Booted into Safe Mode

Booted into recovery mode and ran DU first aid

Ran Apple Diagnostics.

Beachballing remains--and for the simplest of tasks: just clicking on Finder, or typing in a web address in Safari.

I've even tried to run Linc's shell script, and even it won't complete--getting only through the 1st of 4 parts after 45 minutes.

surely this can't merely be a signal call for a memory upgrade to 16GB (running an iMac late 2013 21.5)

ideas?

Replies

Glad someone else posted this. I'm going batty. I'm on a 5k iMac with 24gb and it's brutal

Having the same issues here too on an my iMac (Late 2013), 16GB memory, running lates GM (16A320). It feels like some application has put the brakes on and slowed everything down. A lot of "beachballing". It is hard to describe exact symptoms but as soon as I read this thread, I thought, "Yup, me too!". I realise that generalised complainst of "it's running slow" aren't much help but I thought it worth adding my voice.

I have checked Activity Monitor of course. Dropbox in particular seems pretty brutual on CPU so I have turned that off in the meantime. But Lightroom CC (2015.6 1 Release) stills runs very slowly - catalog is on an external USB hard drive and I wonder if that is a factor?

things appeared, inexplicably, to improve after several hours. Less beachballing, but now more of the javascript blue beachball.

The shell Script of Linc Davis' that wouldn't finish finally did. (I don't know if anyone would benefit from me sharing what the script discerned, but happy to).

Still some lag in app opening, in using system prefs, in some folders displaying contents (esp. Applications).

But on balance, improved functionality now. Similar experiences anyone--or continued frustations?