macOS Sierra beta 2 high memory usage

Anyone notice the excessive used memory on macOS beta 2? I noticed after boot the total memory used is immediately 5.5-6 GB's with nothing else open. Thoughts?

Replies

Same here, on every Mac I've tested on so far; into the 8GB range just from starting up. Not sure if that's just Debugging Overhead or what, but hopefully that thins out as the Betas continue to develop.

The other thing Ive noticed is that 10.12 seems more aggressive with compressing memory then El Cap. El Cap always seemed to be quick to start a swap file, while Sierra seems to (finally?) proritize a swap file as an absolute last resort.

Truthfully, I have no idea, it's just a guess on what I've observed so far.

Interesting, I didn't notice that at first. I'll keep an eye for it.

I've also noticed scrolling within webpages etc seems to be very choppy at times. Noticed that with the first beta.

Starting to see the memory compression....currently compressed at 1.07 GB....not sure I've ever seen it get to that point in el capitain but I didn't look at it much when I was on it.

Comparing two 27" iMacs, the one running Sierra is using roughly twice the memory of the one running El Cap. Both have 16 GB. Same Applications open on both iMacs.

Same here, with my 4GB Macbook Air and always used up memry up to 3.5GB without launch any applications.

B/Regards...Alex Ooi

Yep, same here. Noticed that on the first Sierra public beta.

Same here. Even kernel is taking 800mbs just on bootup with 8gb of ram.

had it installed on a 2011 Macbook Air with 2GB RAM - big mistake. Was entirely unusable, rolled back.

I've got an app I'm trying to build on Sierra. The app is used to bootstrap itslef and it consistently aborts arfter using > 64 GB of virtual memory. The real memory usage is not 'THAT' bad but the VM address space use is absolutely huge. Same app build easily on el Capitan.

On My Mac mini Late 2012 8GB same problem.

free : 30/100MB

before (with El Capitan) : 3 GB Free

??

Making my machine slow.

whats the problem?

😠

I'm running the relase version of Mac OS Sierra on an 8gb late 2013 Macbook Pro.

I'm constantly having memory issues. It'll start out with like 3gb free, then it'll creep up and I'll suddenly have no ram free.

It's very annoying. I never had this problem before the update.

I have noticed the same behavior with nothing running. It gets worse as the system idles. Average 6GB to 8GB with only two or three apps running. Shutting everything down (all apps) didn't help.

Same problem, running macpro with 12gb memory after a while with only one or two apps running system locks up no app memory available. Is there a bug in beta 5?

I have the same issue on a late 2013 15" Mac book Pro with 16 GB of memory. I currently can't use the computer at all. I hope this will problem will get fixed soon.