System slow down/non responsive.

Since installing Sierra, my system has slowed to a (slower than) snail's pace. Talking nearly 7 hours to relaunch Finder after it became unresponsive. I have forced it to shut down three times already. I know it's beta software and these kind of issues arise and the fact that I have an older MacBook (mid 2010, unibody) with only 2 GB of RAM doesn't help the situation. But, this is a bit much. Does anyone know what I may be able to do to help speed the system back up, short of buying a new machine and/or buying and installing the other 2 GB of RAM the machine specs allow? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

Maybe dont install betas? Revert to your previous version! 2gb isnt really enough these days for any modern system.

Well, considering I would have to revert to over a year ago, back to Yosemite (since I was on El Capitan Beta as well), I probably won't be doing that. This was rather unnecessary, considering I acknowledged my system's older, slightly slower shortcomings. I was simply asking if anyone had any tips or shortcuts for clearing up some RAM until I get my hands on more memory.

I have 2 of that age MBP and they run perfectly fine (yos, capitan or sierra) with 4gb or more and an ssd. When using beta software, take regular backups, then you will not need to revert 1 year.

(edit) Also afaik you can put 8gb or even 16gb ram in those age macs- not just 4.

I'm finding that CalendarAgent has a memory problem its growing from 100MB to over 6 GB! The system slows down and the only way to fix it is to stop the CalendarAgent process or restart. Obviously a bug as it wasnt there in beta2.

I have a late model 2012 mini mac which ran macOS beta 2 with great performance. Now, beta 3 literally crawls and beta 3 Xcode takes very long to compile (at least 10x longer than prior in beta 2, if not more) an application, and is continuously indexing.

Hoping this is resolved and a quick patch arrives.. Activity Monitor states no memory pressure, and oddly CPU is 60% idle.

Hello Again,

Purchased the 16 Gb upgrade (2x8GB) at Fry's today. Replaced my two 2x4GB sims, and booted up macOS beta 3. Performance back to normal. Appears you need >8GB to run macOS beta 3.

brian

CalendarAgent is working very poorly on Beta3. The way I found to get it to stop growing is disabling all calendar notifications. Go to Settings > Notifications , select Calendar on the left and uncheck everything on the right. This seems to stop growing it. Hopefully Apple will release a fix soon.