Will Universal Links work in LAN?

Hi,guys,

I followed the refrence and did an 'universal links' test on the Internet . The demo worked fine.

But our real system is deployed on the LAN of our company, not in the Internet.

My question is :

1. Can universal links work on LAN but not in the Internet?

2. If universal links can work on LAN, is it necessary to have a CA authorized certificate ? Can we used self-signed certificate instead?

3. If CA authorized certificate is necessary, should we get a certificate for a server running on the Internet and then move this certificate to the server running on LAN?

Thanks so much.

Accepted Reply

The first step in having universal links work is after an app is installed or updated the device will go out and try to get the apple-app-site-association file. Are you saying that this file will be installed on a machine that's only accessible privately on a LAN? If so, then whether ULs will work or not depends on whether the devices can reach that host in order to pull the file. Presumably for cellular users it would not if the server is not accessible via the cellular network.

Does that make sense?

Replies

The first step in having universal links work is after an app is installed or updated the device will go out and try to get the apple-app-site-association file. Are you saying that this file will be installed on a machine that's only accessible privately on a LAN? If so, then whether ULs will work or not depends on whether the devices can reach that host in order to pull the file. Presumably for cellular users it would not if the server is not accessible via the cellular network.

Does that make sense?

Thanks a lot.

Maybe I did not explain my question clearly. Since 'universal links' uses https to get 'apple-app-site-association' file from server, we want to know if a CA authorized certificate is required for the server. Can iOS system get 'apple-app-site-association' file from a server with only a self-signed certificate?

Ah, I see. iOS devices will not fetch the file from a server with a self-signed cert. It needs to be a cert that's rooted by a CA that is trusted by the iOS device.