Scribble

I was curious if anyone knows the syntax to invoke Scribble. I know of presentTextInputControllerWithSuggestions to invoke dictation, but I can't seem to locate a similar syntax to invoke Scribble.

I've checked the watchOS 3 documentation can't find anything. Does anyone know if I'm just missing a section in the documentation or if Scribble API's aren't coming until later in the beta?

Replies

Ok, I've partly answered my own question. Scribble can be invoked by bringing up watchOS's built-in text input controller, provided that you invoke it using an array of suggestions.

This brings up the provided list of suggestions, as well as a dication input option and a Scribble input option:

[self presentTextInputControllerWithSuggestions:@[@"Item 1", @"Item 2"] allowedInputMode:WKTextInputModePlain completion:^(NSArray * _Nullable results) {
        /
    }];

This brings up only the dictation input option.

[self presentTextInputControllerWithSuggestions:nil allowedInputMode:WKTextInputModePlain completion:^(NSArray * _Nullable results) {
        /
    }];

Long story short, Apple's built in text input controller isn't robust/customizable enough for my app so I ended up having to build my own. At the very bottom of my custom controller are two buttons; one to activate dictation input and one to activate Scribble input. The dictation input option works great using second code snippet. However I need to find a way to link up the other button to Scribble, without confusing my users by presenting them with Apple's text selector control on top of my text selector control.