In-house enterprise apps cannot be reinstalled

I was able to install all of our in-house apps via OTA installation and they worked well (apps are still built with target iOS 9 in Xcode 7.3).

Once an app should be re-installed, what we do if we update an existing app, iOS asks for a confirmation but nothing else happens. No loading is indicated. Looking in the device log, I found the following entry, giving a reason, why the installation won't start:

itunesstored[94] <Notice>: LoadExternalDownloadManifestOperation: Ignore manifest download, already have bundleID: com.company.ios.MyApp with phase: SSDownloadPhaseWaiting

Even worse: If i delete the app and try to install it again, I find the same message in the device log.

After re-booting the device, I found the following entry in the device log...

installd(MobileSystemServices)[46] <Notice>: 0x16e243000 -[MIClientConnection clearUninstalledIdentifiers:withOptions:completion:]: Clear uninstalled identifiers requested by atc (pid 36) with options (null) : (
    "com.company.ios.MyApp"
)

... but the installation still won't work with above message appearing in the log.

Does anybody else experiences this behaviour and is there a workaround to get our apps installed again?

Accepted Reply

This appears to be fixed in iOS 10 beta 2.

Replies

I'm seeing the same thing. Apple also caused the same problem when IOS9 first came out with our enterprise app.

The only workaround I've found is to Reset Content & Settings and then you can install one more time (which is not really an aswer!)

Last time it was related to how we re-signed the app.

It might not be related but in Xcode 8 under provisioning profies, they have changed the text to say "Provisionig Profile (Deprecated)" but I can't find any info on this

If there is a replacement for provisioning profiles then maybe this will work - just a guess

I remember the last time it had sommething to do with the bundle identifier (full qualified vs. plain) provided in the plist manifest that is used in the itms-services URL...

I will file in a radar and see, if I get a response.

I'm seeing the same thing, filed bug 26925524.

do we have any updates on this? we encounter the same issue, and it's really annoying...

No news on that...

For now the only "workaround" (as @trevr2 mentioned) is to erase and reset the device in the settings (just resetting is not enough) so that each bundle id can be used once again.

Tip: Create an iTunes backup before resetting. Restoring from that backup keeps WiFi passwords and installed profiles intact.

This also solves the problem, but you have to repeat this for each app install: delete "Media > Downloads > downloads.28.sqlitedb" on the device and restart the device.

This appears to be fixed in iOS 10 beta 2.

I can confirm, that re-installation of enterprise apps is working with iOS 10 Beta 2.