iCloud Drive upload needs a selection option

iCloud Drive upload uploads all docs on desktop, documents and photos by default.

There should be a selector to choose which folders to upload or an option to "do not upload" with right click.

Replies

Agreed. New feature uploaded all my VM instance to iCloud Drive. Woke up this morning to email my iCloud Drive was full. Apple certainly needs to allow folder specification verse everything under my documents. Short term solution is I'll be moving VMs to another folder.

Adding my voice to this.

I think, given Apple's privacy concerns that have been well aired publicly recently, there should NOT be a default mode when installing MacOS Sierra where it moves ANYTHING from your hard drive to the cloud without your initial agreement.

Apart from the initial shock that you think you might have lost everything because Desktop and Documents disappear from Finder, there is a real problem that App configurations could fail because certain files are not where they were. I experienced this with Xcode recently bacause I had my build folders in my Documents folder.

Come on Apple! We know you want our iCloud Subscription money but this is a heavy handed way of getting it.

Apple upload my VM too. So maybe a selecting box to choose what to upload in the cloud.

I agree, but I think this should apply both ways.

• It should be possible to force local-only
  • It should be possible to force cloud only (to selectively free space on the Mac - but leave an icon, allowing for a download as it does today)

No other cloud solution does this to the best of my knowledge (there was a feature a bit like this on OneDrive, but it seems to have gone), so this would be a real USP for Apple.

Definately! Control options for both locations would be useful. I don't want everything on every machine or in the cloud, but the freedom to control this would be nice.

Also @stcroppe in regards to the privacy setting. I was given the option to turn on iCloud docs/desktop setting during the upgrade and you can turn it off in the iCloud settings. But it is all or nothing at this stage.

(repost)

This is a serious security breach in the system. macOS surreptitiously exfiltrated what would normally be critical and very private data folders and files from a customer's home directory to the "iCloud Drive" without their knowledge, permission, or any indication it was doing so.

This breaks a trust with Apple and internet connected machines. A trust that says "Apple, I trust you to protect and honor my privacy... and although you really own this system and treat me as a guest-user, you will not exercise your ablities to control or manipulate my system or it's data in any way without my express permission and obvious indication"