Cannot connect to smb share on Linux server using 10.11.5 Public Beta 1 (15F18c)

I have a Linux server running Fedora 20 that provides SMB shares that I access from OS X.

Up through 10.11.4, this worked well. I installed the 10.11.5 Public Beta 1, and now can no longer connect the the Linux SMB share. I am trying to connect as Guest. I get the error message:

“There was a problem connecting to the server “vortexbox”.

Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator.”

Rebooting the Mac and rebooting the Linux server does not help. This worked fine on El Capitan 10.11.4, but appears broken in 10.11.5 Public Beta 1.

I can connect to the Linux server SMB shares from a Windows VM running on OS X, so I know the problem isn't on the Linux side.

Any idea what's wrong, how to debug the problem, or how to fix it?

Accepted Reply

Solved the problem by connecting to

cifs://vortexbox (cifs://192.168.1.150) rather than

smb://vortexbox (smb://192.168.1.150).

Don't know why connection via smb:// is broken, but connection via cifs:// works, but problem is solved for me.

Replies

Solved the problem by connecting to

cifs://vortexbox (cifs://192.168.1.150) rather than

smb://vortexbox (smb://192.168.1.150).

Don't know why connection via smb:// is broken, but connection via cifs:// works, but problem is solved for me.

I was using a TrueNAS server that provides windows shares (using Samba), I connected to the TrueNAS server using smb:// and it also failed for me -- I replaced with cifs: and it worked fine. +1

I had the same problem with a WD Mycloud SMB share. CIFS works fine.

This appears to be fixed in the latest beta: OS X 10.11.5 beta 3 build 15F28b. At least it worked for me with my FreeNAS 9.10 SMB shares.

Synology NAS DSM 4.2 with public release of 10.11.5: Does not work with smb://<host>, but does work with cifs://<host> . Please note that another NAS with DSM 6.x does work fine with smb://<host>.

Thanks for posting this solution.