El Capitan Beta 1 - mail crashes

Hi folks,

my MAIL always crashes seconds after start. Tried out any fixes from the past, nothing works.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

Mine crashes too - need fix asap. 🙂

Replies

Mine crashes too - need fix asap. 🙂

Found this solution:

First thing to do is to open Mail while holding the shift key down. This prevents any messages loading at startup - and if any such message has corrupted content it will cause this kind of behavior. Launching Mail with the shift key down will allow you to look through messages and try and spot the problematic one(s).

If that doesn't help, then with Mail closed, open your users>your user name>library>caches>mail folder and delete any content there, then try and relaunch Mail. Damaged cache content can cause Mail instabilities.

There is also a suggestion that it may help to delete 'to do' items!

Hi Rajeev,

sorry, did not work.

What I found out:

I deleted the folder user name/Library/mail completely

Then mail started again - with some crashes - but I got some time because the crashes are not seconds after start.

Then I checked the accounts and saw that they are mostly (not all) double (Mail / Settings / Accounts)
Then I started to delete the double accounts (with some crashes) and it seem to work now.
I am already chronising my Exchange accounts at the moment, but it works.

What I am wondering about:

Every time with a new BETA release the Mail ******** starts - I had the same at Yosemite until Beta 4.

Apple - please!!!!! It is really not needed that you have the most instable Mail beta in the IT. :-)

My Windows 10 beta in Parallels works much better than every Beta I saw before.

Greetings

Hartmut

Try creating a new user on your Mac. open Mac Mail and configure your accounts. If it works, copy over those files to your current profile. Might work.

Opening with shift key works, once mail app is opened you will have to play around little bit with folder to find the troublesome email(s). I know every first beta has problem, I wonder Apple does it intensionally to avoind people who are not real beta testers!!!

We are now in the sixth beta and the issue still hasn't been resolved.

I'm not having any crashing issues with Mac Mail. One Exchange 2007 and IMAP account. Have you opened a bug report with Apple? You may want to do that.

I got mine working by going to system preferences and internet accounts. uncheck all the "mail" boxes and then the mail app opened. I rechecked the boxes and now it all seems ok.

This workaround seemed to work - deleting all of those files wasn't working at all. Try this folks!!

This worked for me as well. THanks

You have to remove or update the PGP plug-in from /Library/Mail/Bundles to get the Mail App running again.

today i installed el capitan 10.11 from the app store on my imac and macbook air .

It is not a beta any more, isn't it?

Both mail crashed always after seconds.

I got mine also working again by going to system preferences / internet accounts, uncheck the (13 🙂 "mail" boxes, open mail app and rechecking all the boxes.

Thank you a lot.

greetings from vienna, austria, europe