How to migrate existing customers to IAP?

Hi,

I’ve developed an OS X app, which is can be downloaded from my web site. After a limited free trial period I provide paying customer an individual registration code to unlock the permanent version. For various reasons I’m planning to migrate into the Mac App Store, and my current approach is a limited free version with an In-App-Purchase to unlock all features.

But I wonder how to deal with my customer base of 1,000 existing registrations: An additional purchase is out of question and I’d like to provide future updates for free (as I did in the past). But I want to avoid maintaining two parallel builds and distribution channels. What is your recommendation to migrate an OS X app with customer base into the MAS? Could I check the registration code - which saved in user defaults - as I currently do to unlock the IAP features w/o a purchase? Or is there a way to provide codes to existing customers similar to promo codes for the IAP? What is the best way to deal with this situation without providing an additional build outside of the MAS?

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards, Mattes

Replies

I think you are sort-of stuck. You have an issue with Guideline 7.1 if you try to use a registration code. For iOS (and I assume also for Mac) there is no way to get promo codes for IAPs. One round-about way is to first create a paid app and use promo codes (100 free ones for marketing and you can also become a VPP). The convert the paid app to a free app with IAP. Check whether the user has obtained (by paying or promo code) the earlier paid version and if so, grant the IAP. Another way is to offer any 'paid' user a 70% discount/rebate if they purchase the IAP.

Thanks for responding!

Yeah, Guideline 7.1 is my major concern: Although I can understand Apple's intention behind, not wanting to loose their 30% share if developers sell individual unlock keys outside of the MAS, it kills every smart approach to handle an existing customer base ... and I wouldn't distribute new registration codes. I find it hard to believe that Apple isn't aware of this use case, why are they ignoring it completely?

I know that some companies just force their customers to buy again, which in my optionon is a very bad solution and no way I'm willing to go. Unfortunately the round-about with promo codes isn't suitable for 1,000 customers - thanks for mentioning nevertheless.

It seems that maintaining a second build and distribute it outside of the MAS for updates is the only approved solution ... hardly what I want to achieve when migrating to the MAS...

Greetings, Mattes