Scrolling with Apple Pencil does not work in 9.3.

Being able to scroll with the Pencil no longer works in 9.3 so rolled it back to 9.2 and it works again. Hopefully a bug.

Replies

Just found the same problem. Can't scroll or swipe using pencil with iOS 9.3 beta. I've sent feedback on this. Major inconvenience since it significantly reduces the benefits of using the pencil. I hope it's just a bug...... I don't see a fix anywhere so may also role back to 9.2. Disappointing but I do recognise it is a beta.

p.s. Rolled back to 9.2 and all back to normal and working again.

Hopefully this interview with Ive was not a sign to come that Apple will restrict the Pencil to marking features only. http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/17/jony-ive-apple-pencil-is-clearly-for-marking-not-a-stylus-finger-replacement

Also noticed this. Didn't see it as a known issue on the Release notes. Bet it gets fixed on next build. Well, one can hope.

Did you report a bug? That will increase the chances of it getting fixed.

Yes, logged.

Sorely missing scrollability, llogged it.

I just downloaded Beta 2 and the issue still exists - very disappointed. Logged it. Going back to 9.2.1 Again.

It's frustrating that Apple positions the iPad Pro as a replacement device for the more mobile user <me>, and because I've upgraded to 9.3, I'm now stuck with an Apple Pencil that won't scroll - and no way to roll back to 9.2, unless I go out and buy a $1200 laptop for that sole purpose.... I'm WILDLY frustrated.

I don't understand, why would you have to buy a $1200 laptop? Any computer running Windows 7 or newer or OS X Yosemite or newer can run iTunes.

Download 9.3 last evening (the 13th). Pencil no longer swiping for me, either. Bummer. Hope it's a bug and not a "feature." Although it would save wear and tear on the tips, I suppose. :/ Sure slows me down in any case. And when I'm leaning back in a chair, for example, that extra extension of the Pencil made it far more convenient to scroll through Safari pages, etc.

Having given this some additional thought, I can POSSIBLY understand why some users may be perfectly happy using the Pencil as a marking device only and not a stylus. But if it's not a temporary bug, Apple should AT LEAST make it an option to use one way or the other.

I hope they add an option to enable scrolling. To be honest using the pencil to scroll the entire surface area is a lot eaiser then using your finger. I know this is a first world problem, but my arm gets sore using the pencil seems to use less energy. ALSO more importantly I hope Apple realizes it super not convient to scroll with a Pencil in your hand. It just awkward to transition from Pencil to Finger vice versa.

From an Accessibility standpoint, being able to scroll with the Pencil would be ideal for individuals who have limited function of both armss or who have only one arm. I even looked in Accessibility to see if there was an option to turn scrolling on, but nope. I SO hope they bring this capability back, at least as an option. I'm also finding out that within apps, one has to re-learn individual interfaces. In Procreate, for example, one has to now choose brushes with a finger instead of the Pencil. Very inconvienent and unintuitive.

This is keeping me from installing 9.3 betas. Normally I love testing with pre-release software, but this particular glitch seems egregious.

I feel like I'm talking to myself at this point. 🙂 But I vote one big NOPE if this is a feature and not a bug. So I'm in Notes, and I use the Pencil to open a note, create a note, and then close the note, but when I want to delete the note...oh...wait...I have to use my finger. Because I can't swipe. Stupid. The Pencil MUST be both a pencil and a stylus.