Consultant wants my Developer Apple ID and Password?!?

I'm new to the world of software development. I'm a long time businessman and Mac user. Also long time iPad user. Now I've just enrolled in the Apple Development program.

The venture at hand is a mobile app to help the field team of my expanding business. Stage of development is "almost ready" for physical field testing on iPads. But for the last 12 months my previous app consultants had simply sent IPA files and weblinks for me to download and install the early rudimentary builds in my personal iPad for reviewing and testing.

Now my new consultant is also an outsourced individual like before. He seems competent enough. He will take care of all the actual coding of the mobile app. Then as owner and creator I do the general design for functionality, graphic appearance, user experience, etc. I review the consultant's build and send feedback for changes.

But new consultant is now asking for my Apple ID and password to send his first build!? Does not sound right. Surely I don't know left from right as a newbie here. And maybe he's also not familiar enough with how much access he really needs to ITunes Connect or TestFlight or whatever. But heck, might as well give him my credit card credentials. And many others like him also as for Apple ID and password. WTH?

Suggestions? Advice? I'd otherwise have to wait 'til Monday to call Apple Developer Support.

• Yea legit consultants will never request your user id and password for anything. Get help from an experienced, legit consultants here: https://consultantvue.co/small-business-consulting/

Add a Comment

Replies

he shouldn't need your password only your appleID to add you to TestFlight as a beta tester. what it sounds like anyway.

NEVER GIVE ANYONE YOUR APPLEID CREDENTIALS!

Sorry for the shouting but it is that important.

If they are asking for them, they don't know what they are doing.

I already feel that way — that he shouldn't need my password.

But why would he need my Apple ID?

In other words, what if he, as independent consultant, is not and does not want to be enrolled in some sort of umbrella Apple Dev Program for all his clients where he has to add them as beta testers?

What if, since I'm the owner / creator / developer / funder / manager and have already signed up in the Apple Dev Program, I'm the one to add consultants and other contributors as uploaders of various builds? Can I still be a beta tester? Can I be any tester / reviewer / commenter in my "own" app?

So I'm thinking I can add him in some way in my Apple Dev account. Not the other way around.

But under which role? With what privileges? What's best strategy? Or only strategy?

Sure. That's what NOT to do.

But what is it that I should do?

Constructive advice please?

You can invite them as a member of your team. You can give that individual access to the developer area to create a signing certificate and can give them access to iTunes Connect in order to upload the app for testing and to the store.

Ths page outlines the various roles you can assign for the developer area and iTunes Connect:

https://developer.apple.com/support/roles/

So I have a client who has added me as an admin in the developer area, that allows me to create provisioning profiles for signing and distributing apps. He has also given me a Technical role in iTunes Connect, which allows me to update info for apps, and upload for testing and to the store.

Those permissions should probably be sufficient for your case.

Okay. Now this is something useful.

The keywords I'm picking up are: invite them, member, developer area, signing certificate, access to iTunes Connect.

I'll look for these functions or keywords. Thank you.

Thank you for adding your perspective as technical (consultant) in iTunes Connect. Your perspective is priceless for my understanding. So the keywords I'm now picking up are: admin (in the developer area), create provisioning profiles, Technical role. I'll dig into these concepts. Thank you again.

First thing that strikes me upon reading the info (thank you for the link), is that my intital Apple Dev enrollment is as Individual because Apple is still fumbling with my company D-U-N-S number to get us listed as organization. They said we can transition over when they get it straightened up. It seems this means the admin member role is not available to any consultants in my current enrollment. Not entirely sure.

Yes, my original reply still holds.

It was obvious that you had not created an enterprise account and were using your personal apple ID.

no one can do anything with your AppleID without a password. it didn't seem that you wouldn't be so naive as to give anyone your password to anything. who does? that one person is wrong and just ranting about never giving out credentials.

If someone had your AppleID or guessed your AppleID, there's isn't much anyone can do without the password as most AppleIDs are based on email addresses so to say don't give out your AppleID is uneducated, fear mongering.

i've received several phishing emails allegedly from Apple using my AppleID, so there are people out there trying to guess your password but a brute force attack on Apple's server would be rare, social phishing is easier and less risky.

If you create an enterprise account and if you are only doing one app, it may not worth the investment. what is it now $300?? ver $99 for single dev. for a single app with a single dev, you'd probably be better off staying with single dev and doing all of the admin through github. my 0.02 anyway as i've had both enterprise and single dev. doing the admin on apple's enterprise can be very annoying at times, adding many UID's of devices, adding beta testers, adding test versions of apps, signing and verification issues. i always dev on my personal ID and when ready for release send it to admin to uploads to store and the headaches and pain of getting it approved.

"... that one person is wrong and just ranting about never giving out credentials."

Credentials is your apple id and your password.

Go ahead and give those to anyone you want.

I was merely trying to emphasize not to do that.

Hey people,

Problem still.

I've added my consultant with Admin role.

However, he still does not have enough access to create Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles. I tried asking him to walk me through doing it, but then there's the creating and uploading of something called the CSR file. I don't know how this ties into me and my iPad that I want to use to test each build. The consultant will be the one creating everything and uploading everything.

This is why he's still asking for my Apple ID and password.

What should I do?

Here’s what I’ve done:

I’m not a technical person, but I’ve managed to create, on my Mac, the Certificate Signing Request, the iOS Development Certificate, uploaded it to my Apple Developer account online, got the App ID created, pasted my iPad UDID code, established a new iOS Provisioning Profile, and have downloaded the Provisioning Profile.

Mind you, I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Then I saw some instructions somewhere on how to save the Certificate to my desktop for backup purposes or to export to another Mac that I may want to use.

And with an epiphany of creativity, I’ve compressed the two files (Cerificate with my name & Provisioning Profile) and emailed them to my consultant!

Have I sent too much information?

Have I sent useful files?

Will he have everything he needs to create and upload my app?

Or have I made a blunder?

He has not replied but mentioned grudgingly earlier that he prefers to generate the files himself "in case there are other restrictions and to avoid deadlock." If he still asks for my Apple ID and Password, what else can I do?

And now, not surprisingly, the consultant is begging for my Apple ID and password.

Anybody here with any knowledge or experience?

I've sent the question and a contact request to Apple Support more than 13 hours ago. Apparently they all took Friday off.

No help.

Perfect.

We recomend you add developers to your team and then give their accounts roles as described in the following QA:

Technical Q&A QA1763

How can a build engineer distribute an app on behalf of the team?

<https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1763/_index.html>

Is the "add developers to team" available through an individual Apple Developer Enrollment? I cannot figure how to do it.

We had originally applied for enrollment as organization, but Apple Developer Support recommended starting off enrollment as individual then migrate later because Apple was (and still is) fumbling with Dun & Bradstreet, who in turn is sporadically telephoning our business during off hours for unknown reasons leaving no return number. They don't do email. I've spent countless hours calling them. The nature of our business is not waiting for telephone calls. It's not our revenue, yet we have to waste time doing this for D&B. Is this the common ******* of all businesses wanting to enroll as organization in the Apple Developer Program? I dread to imagine our man-hour expenses in doing this. And D&B is only a broker for telemarketers, junk mailers, and spammers. Go figure.

In the meantime, anything else I'm missing?

Did you ever find any answers to your quesitons? I'm in exactly the same boat. Does anyone know the proper procedure for giving outsourced developers access without handing over the keys? Is the Cert and Prov Profile enough or do they need an account password as well. It looks like the individual developer account has no means for role management but I can't imagine there isn't a way they can do their job without my password.