"There was an error importing this build" tvOS

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with this error: "There was an error importing this build."
I was actually able to upload the binary through the Application Loader but It goes from "Processing" to "There was an error importing this build.".
There are no informations about what went wrong.

Does anyone have simillar problem ?
It's tvOS app linked against tvOS 9.1, built and archived using xCode 7.2, written in Swift, I'm using 2 external frameworks (written and added to the project by me, no cocoapods/carthage) with bitcode enabled.

Accepted Reply

I started seeing the error message "There was an error importing this build." when submitting first tvOS app update right after the Xcode 7.2 and tvOS 9.1 updates. I have since then submitted tens of builds and they all result in the same error.

I actually went ahead and started removing code from my project piece by piece and found out that the cause of the iTunes Connect error is this usage of UISearchContainerViewController class. I'm using the container to have a UISearchController in a tabbar item. Removing the few lines where the UISearchContainerViewController is initialized and added to tabbar removes the iTunes Connect error and the builds get processed successfully.

let containerVC = UISearchContainerViewController(searchController: searchController)
let nav = UINavigationController(rootViewController: containerVC)

Already submitted a bug report about it and informed Developer Support. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Replies

I have been having this problem for 2 days now. I now start to wonder if this is Xcode 7.2 related. Previously (a week ago or so) I had no problems whatsover and since than my app hasn't changed much. I tried building for both 9.0 and 9.1. Same result: "There was an error importing this build.". Actually in most cases I wasn't even able to upload builds using Xcode (getting "You're not authorized to use this service") so I have been using Application Loader, which work without any errors or even warning, for that matter. So I'm in the same boat as you are. Already uploaded 7 builds - all went "There was an error importing this build." after processing. I wish Apple would indicate there is some kind of specific error..

We have been having the same issue since yesterday. I tried to remove all my code and upload a empty build only with my dependecies (Cocoapods) and 50% of the times fails submitting the same code. I also tried to submit my app partially (piece by piece to isolate the problem) but no luck either. The main problem is that Apple doesn't give you any clue of what the error is.

Hi i've got the same problem. If you found what's wrong please tell us as Apple didn't mentionned anything.

I have the same problem, and there seems to be something wrong with iTunes Connect. I've been in contact with them, and they say that everything seems OK with my app, and it should work within 24 hours – that was 17 hours ago:

> "Thank you for your reply. After doing some research with the help of the information you sent over, we were able to verify that everything looks good on our side with the builds that your uploaded.

> You should be able to start testing within 24 hours. If the issue persists after that please reply back to this email."

It still does not work. The project is relatively simple: It's for the AppleTV, has no cocoapods, is written in Swift and only includes 2 Swift Frameworks. Nothing in the build settings or Info.plist changed since it stopped working, and the error occurs with Xcode 7.2 as well as 7.1.1, and when submitting from two different machines.

I have exactly same problem. My build uses a complex build toolchain. However, everything is buildt in Xcode 7.1 and against tvOS SDK 9.0. The binary is valid, contains bitcode, etc. It gets stuck in processing state for some time and then to ""There was an error importing this build.". I never received any rejection or anything.

Would be good if iTunes Connect team can shed some light into this.

I have also contacted itunes connect team with my complaint. Maybe they'll stop saying everything is ok

I found some hint in a related thread, and though it did not help me, it might give some hints at what iTC does with our bitcode after they received it. Maybe it helps one of you:

You can apparently make Xcode compile the Bitcode from the archive in the way the AppStore importer would, by exporting the archive for developer deployment. There's a little box to "Rebuild from bitcode" that you should check. If there's any errors like duplicate symbols etc, Xcode should show a log. However, for me it all went just fine, so I'm still stuck.

I just try again and the same message appear without any information. Congratulation Apple developpers seems to be very important for you

I just heard back from them saying the following:

"I reviewed the case details and wasn't able to identify the root cause. As such, I've created a ticket to have our engineers take a look. I will let you know when there's an update to the case."

😟

Same here... I've uploaded at least 20 tvos builds and for all of them I got "There was an error importing this build".

It's unbelievable. Plus, I wrote to Apple and they told me

Hello Diego,

Thank you for contacting iTunes Provider Support about the iTunes Connect error you received.
I am certain that you need to resolve the issue as soon as possible. We will help you do so.

It does appear that the issue may have been resolved at this time.

But, as you can imagine, the issue is still there. Da f**k.

This morning I reinstall El Capitan from scratch thinking there was a problem with the update. Then reinstall Xcode 7.2. Recreate my certificate and provisionning profil. Reupload a new build and tada the same error. I open a ticket and wait. I'm very hangry about that. A lot of lost time for nothing. Thank you Apple.

Same for me. It has been 3 days now i try to upload my tvos build once received in itunes connect and checked i'm not able to attached the build bor review since an issue is detected on apple side but with no details 😟 This is a big waiste of time... Hope Apple's engineer lookt at it and fix it soon

When uploading using application loader the following error is given :

1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:

/var/folders/v6/58gljh4528b8pm40r8w340l00000gn/T/FED87779-C83A-4C18-B233-6493CF6A4E5B/959626163.itmsp - Error Messages:

ERROR ITMS-90545: "Invalid Provisioning Profile. This provisioning profile is not compatible with iOS apps."

The provisionning profle is for TVOS not for iOS. Just to make things clear i'm trying to upload a TVOS application.

Apple is already on holliday they will do nothing for us ! Congratulation Apple ! I'm so disapointed that I will say F*** off

Hi guys,

Have you got any news about this problem ?

For the one in contact with Apple, can you tell me how long does it take for them to answer, because I've opened a ticket like you ?

Thank you.