iAds don't work in Action Extension or Share Extension?

Do either iAds or AdMob ads work in an iOS Action Extension or Share Extension, or if not, does any other advertising component work in an extension? I have each of them running successfully in the "container" portion of the app, but neither seem to work in the "Extension" portion of either an Action Extension or a Share Extension. When running in the Extension portion of the app, none of the events are fired and no ad appears but there is no sign of any errors. I've tested in both the Simulator and on several actual devices, in both iOS 8 and iOS 9, and trying both banner ads and interstitial ads -- same results, or lack thereof. Unfortunately, all of the functionality of this app is in the "Extension" portion, so this is the only way to monetize this app.

(Note that I'm not trying to run these both together; I started with AdMob and couldn't get that to work so I replaced it with iAd, but no luck there either.)

Also, I tried proxying the HTTP & HTTPS traffic through another machine running Fiddler; this showed that no HTTP or HTTPS requests are made by the iAd or AdMob components when they are running in the Extension portion of the app.

Nothing in the docs say that these shouldn't work, but is there something else I need to set or tweak in order for ads to work?

Answered by NotMyName in 96481022

Review criteria 25.3: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#advertising

Apps hosting extensions that include marketing, advertising, or in-app purchases in their extension view will be rejected

You're not allowed to display advertising in action extensions or share extensions. You're going to need to figure out some other way of monetizing your extension.

Accepted Answer

Review criteria 25.3: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#advertising

Apps hosting extensions that include marketing, advertising, or in-app purchases in their extension view will be rejected

You're not allowed to display advertising in action extensions or share extensions. You're going to need to figure out some other way of monetizing your extension.

I completely missed that in the guidelines. I just assumed it was a technical problem... Thanks!

iAds don't work in Action Extension or Share Extension?

Q