Apple TV not recognized by iTunes

Just got my dev kit in the mail and tried setting it up. When I plug it into my TV it enters recovery mode and shows the iTunes symbol.

However, when I connect it to iTunes via the provided USB cable it doesn't actually appear in the list. I tried with two laptops (one running 10.10 and one running 10.11) on iTunes 12.3. I then tried doing it through Xcode 7.1 instead but it couldn't see the device either.

The only troubleshooting advice the setup guide provided was to force it to enter recovery mode but it's already in recovery mode. I've also tried basic things like resetting the Apple TV.

Do I have a dud?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of dabinat Down vote post of dabinat
29k views

Replies

The Apple TV dev kit doesn't come with tvOS on it. You need to download the latest beta from here https://developer.apple.com/tvos/download/

then follow the instructions on that page else I've put some instructions below.

Restore Instructions

1. Download the latest beta https://developer.apple.com/tvos/download/
  2. Open itunes,
  3. Click the Apple TV tab,
  4. Hold down option then press the restore button.
  5. Navigate to the downloaded beta .ipsw file. (AppleTV5,3_9.0_13T5347l_Restore.ipsw, file name may vary)

This will restore the device to the latest beta.

Thanks Aaron. I did in fact download tvOS, however the issue I'm having is that the Apple TV doesn't appear in iTunes so there is no Apple TV tab to click in order to begin installing the OS.

Ok, I used iTunes 12.2.2.25 on OSX 10.0.5 to get mine working but didn't have any issues. Seams like a silly question but you've tried restarting your Mac, iTunes etc?

Restart your computer, with the ATV connected. Be sure to not bus it thru a hub/external drive, etc. Connect it directly to your computer and if still no joy, be sure to use the included or new/known good cable.

Hi,

I've also just got my AppleTV - installed the tvOS on it and had a brief play - wanted to finish the setup so I could start manipulating our app, but like the OP, the ATV no longer shows up in iTunes (also using 12.3) - nor does it show up in Xcode 7.1.

The only USB-C cable I have is the supplied one - I've tried rebooting at ATV, with and without a display connected, making sure iTunes wasn't running (and when it is running), pretty much everything I can think of. (including rebooting the MacBook..)

Is it possible there is an issue with iTunes 12.3 and the way it flashes the device?

Start from the top - hit the Apple logo top left, choose 'About This Mac', then 'System Report...', then select 'USB' on the left.

Scroll thru the device tree and see if the ATV is on the list.

You mentioned iTunes 12.3 - can you update to 12.3.0.44?

Make sure the hdmi cable is plugged off and make sure twice usb cable is connected to device. That's how it worked for me, i hope it helps.

Figured it out: the USB-C connector will fit into the Apple TV in two orientations but only one is correct. So if you're having this issue, try turning the connector upside-down.

Great help thanks. Was so excited to receive a pack that i completely overlooked this simple process...

Are you sure? One of the highlights of USB-C is that is works both ways 😕

I have the same issue.

I succesfully completed the install, during which process iTunes showed the AppleTV in the list, at least prior to the Restore

Now the AppleTV appears to be functional as a TV, but is NOT showing in the iTunes Device list, or in Devices on Xcode.

Have power booted the Apple TV - No change

Turned the USB-C cable plugged into the AppleTV both ways - No change.

Am running iTunes 12.3.0.44 - the latest

=== I have no idea what else to try to get the AppleTV to show up in the Device list === IDEAS?

Agreed - if inverting it helped, it probably wasn't fully inserted the first time. That or a failing connection inside the cable/connector.

Maybe you did not connect the usb-c end properly the first time? Mine does a "click" when you introduce it all the way in.

I've also tried rebooting my Mac.

The AppleTV shows up under USB on my device, so the hardware appears to see it.

Has ANYONE gotten their AppleTV to appear in iTunes Devices and Xcode 7.1 Build Devices?

If not, this is a SHOW STOPPER and Apple needs to jump in quick with a fix for us.

Just submitted a bug report for this show stopper: Bug ID #22758503

Hope they get back to us quick, or one of us figures out a work-around or what many of us are somehow doing something wrong.