Caldigit USB3 PCI-e Card

Updated to the El Capitan on my 2012 MacPro. Would not boot. It would turn on but often just restarted over and over and over. Checked PRAM battery- it was good > 3 volts. Reset power management system. Finally, pulled out Caldigit USB 3 PCI-e card and now it finished installing El Capitan and works great. Support site on Caldigit states this card not supported on 10.11.

Switched to Sonnet USB x4 PCI-e card and all is well: it works and El Capitan works.

Just FYI

Patrick

Replies

Same issues, same solution. I previously bought two versions of Caldigit USB and now both are useless. Thanks for the post

Same here...

If Caldigit can't be bothered to prepare for new OS releases like everyone else, then I can't be bothered to buy their products any more.

Thanks for the insight into the Sonnet card.

I have ORICO PFU3-2P USB 3.0 PCIe cards and they worked well natively without the need for any additional power or driver until yesterday, when I upgraded to El Capitan. Now they have stopped working. I have searched online and there doesn't seem to be any proper solution. I have tried the GenericUSBXHCI driver, which didn't help. I trying powering the card via one of the SATA bays, that didn't help either. Have contacted ORICO customer support yesterday, haven't heard back yet. I am not having my hopes up, since the GenericUSBXHCI driver has not been updated in two years. I think I have to pay a good $120 to get two of the 4 ports Sonnet Allegro. Should I get the Allegro Pro or the added data speed is overkill?

Did you install El Cap clean, or did you upgrade a system that already had CalDigit drivers installed?

I ran into a loop of constant restarts and kernel panics with the El Capitan beta, but only after I installed the Yosemite CalDigit driver to see if it would work. Before that, with a clean install of the El Capitan beta, the only problem was that the USB 3 drive attached to the CalDigit card was not accessible under El Cap. But there were no crashes or kernel panics or restarts. I'm seeing the same stability now with the released version of El Cap.

I have the first-gen CalDigit card and it has been working well with Snow Leopard through Yosemite. Last time I checked, CalDigit seems to have pulled the Yosemite driver; no idea why, since it seems to work for me — but I spend very little time in Yosemite, so perhaps I just haven't had the chance to run into problems with it. I will be annoyed if CalDigit decides not to update the drivers, but it's good to know that the Sonnet card is an option.