"Developer's certificate is no longer valid"

TestFlight is failing to install my app for my external beta testers with the following notification despite the fact that my certificates seem to be in order.
"The app couldn't be installed because the developer's certificate is no longer valid. To resolve the issue, contact the developer."

Why wouldn't archive validation and build submission catch this if this was true?

Replies

I'm getting the same issue suddenly, except it's saying "The app couldn't be installed because the profile has expired. Try again."

Everything is in order on my end.

hello

I'm having the same problem

but my certificates are valid

help

I'm experiencing the same issue...certificates are valid, as are provisioning profiles. What's up?

I tossed out all my provisioning profiles and started over. I also changed my build settings for App Store, Release, and Distribution to "IOS Distribution" rather than "IOS Developer", which was required during the iOS 9 beta period.

I'm seeing this problem as well XCode 7.0.1 on 10.10 5,install problems on iOS 9 and iOS 8.4.. What's weird is that the first build I distributed via Testflight worked and was available to testers without problems. Now that I've got a build that actually got through into 'waiting for submission', the later builds are giving me this error and refusing to install. So, my provisioning profiles, certs, etc. were just fine.

Provisioning profile is a distribution profile, not a developer profile.

One thing I do notice using iPhoneConfigurationUtility is that testflight appears to have installed a copy of my App Store Distribution provisioning profile with an expiration date 30 days in the future (which is in line with the 30 day expiration on the builds). This profile can't be removed from the device, but is likely related to the issue.

Submitted bug report 22909627 on this.

Hi Sam,

We're getting the exact same error message as you and we can't get around it. We can't add any further beta testers to our app.

Did you manage to resolve this?

Phil

Hello, i have the same issue with distribution profile. When i upload my app to the itunesconnect, I see my provisioning profile ( distribution) as correct. But if is app in testflight, that i cant download app with message " the app couldn be installed because the developers certificate is no longer valid."

Do you have some idea how solve this issue?

Thanks

Did anyone get this resolved? We are having the same problem.

Also seeing this. The distribution certificate used to build the binary is valid and has an expiration date in 2016. Also some testers were successful in installing the internal testing build from TestFlight several weeks ago, but after a certain point of time it started to fail for everyone.

What's going on, Apple?

BR,

Matti

Im having the same issues. Revoked and re-generated all of my certificates and profiles but ended up with the same error. Testers were able to download the app through Test Flight about a week ago but not anymore. Has anyone found a solution for this issue?

This happened to us yesterday with several TVOS apps. Our certificate was not expired and our profiles were valid in the Developer Portal. We'd even been able to load via Testflight a week ago. Creating newly named profiles (linked to the same developer certificate and the same bundle ID's), then rebuilding the apps with the new profiles, and submitting via Xcode Organizer instead of Application Loader gave us something we could use with external testing in Testflight Beta.

UPDATE: Of four TVOS apps we reset following the above process, today's Testflight Beta testers report two install successfully, one pops errors but then installs, and one fails. Definitely weird.

Hi,

You should get "The app couldn't be installed because the developer's certificate is no longer valid. To resolve the issue, contact the developer." only if the certificate that was used to sign the app has been revoked or has expired. It is easy to accidentally revoke a certificate in xcode.

You should get "The app couldn't be installed because the profile has expired. Try again." only if the profile you used to sign the app has been revoked or has expired.

To check, grab the build you uploaded and look at the profile embedded in it. Make sure that profile is still in the dev portal with the exact same UUID. If the UUID is different it, the old one was probably invalidated and a new one was generated.

Please note: if you have revoked and regenerated the cert or profile, you will need to upload a new build to TestFlight.

If you run into any of these issues and the above is not the case, please file a radar to TestFlight and include the apple id of the app (visible inside the url to the app in iTunesConnect) and the build/version information so we can check it out.

There must be more going on because I can install my app on some devices while others complain the developer certificate has expired.

Also to be able to upload to iTunes Connect the binary must be signed with a valid distribution profile, right?

I have no problems uploading and submitting the binary!

"Make sure that profile is still in the dev portal with the exact same UUID"

Maybe I'm missing something... how can you view the profile UUID in the developer portal?

I've continued to run into this on and off and I think I found a better answer--it seems Xcode 7.1.1 and 71.0 will sometimes automatically try to export/ upload with a Team XC profile, even if the Build Settings explicitly specify a custom profile you've created. This XC profile will be acceptable for upload, but is incompatible with Testflight, at least for TVOS apps.

First set the correct profile in Build Settings, and archive the build. You should have Organizer open. Then you have a choice to either Export or Upload to ITC. Click whichever you use, and select the team. At this point, a final Summary panel should pop open, which will include the profile that will be used on the right of the panel. This is where you'll see XC instead of the profile you set in buidl settings.

The best fix I've found is: if the final summary panel for an app to upload or export in Xcode organizer shows an XC profile (including the wildcard XC:*), DELETE the actual XC:.mobileprovision file from you local "Library/MobileDevices/Provisioniang Profiles" directory, click “Cancel” on the summary panel in organizer, then try again once the XC profile is in the trash. The summary panel should now show the correct profile.

Tip: To find which profile to delete, you can click the tiny grey arrow next to the profile name on the summary panel, and the Provisioning Profiles directory will pop open with the relevant profile selected.

Hope this helps someone!

>it seems Xcode will

Pls. add which version, thanks.