ibooks won't open at all

Ibooks won't open at all.

Says:

Ibooks can't access libary

Make sure the disk containing your library is connected, then click Try Again.

Library Location: (null)

You can also reset your library, then sign in to view and re-download your purchased books.

Replies

Is the library on an external drive?

I have this issue as well. Running The GM of El Capitan. Console shows several log entries like the following for different classes:

iBooks[2491]: objc[2491]: Class SFUZipException is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSUtility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Then a different error:

iBooks[2491]: Unsupported configuration. Please update your BookKit.framework.

The iBooks library is configured for its default location, ie. it is not a externable drive.

--

update. I just noticed this is an ios9 thread. I am experiencing this problem on OSX El Capitan GM, I'll leave this here in case the console log proves helpful.

I'm linking you to the question you asked the day after this one:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/54664

Try the following and stop when iBooks starts working again:

1. From Finder press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

2. If it takes you to a selected file, delete it, and test iBooks again.
  3. Otherwise, from Finder again, press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Cookies/Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

4. If it takes you to a selected file, delete it, and test iBooks again.
  5. Otherwise, from Finder again, press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Containers/

6. Find com.apple.iBooksX and delete it.
  7. Find Containers/com.apple.BKAgentServiceand move this one to the Desktop.
  8. Log out and log back in. The book library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

-Max

Let us know what step you got to before iBooks started working for you again.

Unfortunately none of the steps above worked for me. It even got worse; iBook now quits when clicking the Reset Libarary button.

Ha! It now works again; to not loose any data I moved com.apple.BKAgentService back to Containers again and tried one more time. And iBooks is back with all books there.

thanks max108, it helped, ibooks working now, had to get to the last step till it worked. thanks, i appreciate it, now to go download my books back on .

I don't know what on earth has happened to the Books (used to be iBooks) app for iPad. It used to be an excellent app and I used it all the time in preference to Kindle. Now it is absolutely dreadful. It keeps losing the last page read on a book and even often loses the book from reading now completely. The developers of this app, need to take a long hard look at what they have done to ruin what used to be an excellent app and turn it into a total mess. One of their most irritating actions was to delete the search within library feature and all the search does now is search for books on sale, even though the book in question is in the library but hiding. Maybe the developers have not heard of the excellent maxim: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but instead keep messing with the app, presumably to justify their position and salary.