OS X GM Build Hangs on Startup

Looks like I'm in for another episode of failed startups. The installation appears to have gone without a problem, but upon rebooting, the loading bar has stopped at about 90%. I let it sit there for about an hour, but no change. Things I have already tried:

• fsck-fy
  • deleting contents of /va/folders/
  • recovery mode (wont even boot)
  • safe mode (same as above)
  • NPRAM reset

Hopefully this is just something I may have missed...

Accepted Reply

Well, after taking my computer over to the Apple Store, I received the confirmation of what was causing the error. My computer was actually one of the rare cases of:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I was told that the computer will be fixed at no charge and will be getting it back in about one week. Thank goodness the issue came up before Feb 2016, or my computer would not have been covered.

I would like to share the symptoms with everyone here on the forums: please note that the symptoms are actually similar to those causee by the rogue kexts that are so well known for causing boot problems.

• Computer will randomly shut down/restart
  • Boot will fail, here's where it gets interesting--
  • Booting will not work for any partition including: Recovery, BOOTCAMP, Internet Recovery, Apple Diagnostic, OS X, USB or disk installers; literally nothing will boot
  • At first, it will work after a few attempts, but the problem may evolve quickly until no amount or rebooting or kext deleting will work
  • DIstorted video starts appearing even when in single user mode

The affected macs are listed in the above link from Apple. If yours falls under the affected models, and you experience the aforementioned symptoms, keep this in mind. If you are experiencing these symptoms, but you can still log on, make a backup ASAP. If you can no longer access your information due to no longer being able to boot into any partition, don't worry, there's still a way to back up at least some of your most important files. Go to the following link for instructions on backing up your files from Single User Mode:

jsalovaara.com/blog/backing-up-files-to-a-usb-drive-using-single-user-mode.html

If this applies to you, take your laptop to your nearest Apple Store to get it checked out. Once there, they will confirm whether it is covered by that repair program. If so, they will repair it free of charge and will have it back to you within a week.

Thats all there is for this issue, best of luck to everyone and hopefully no one else has to go through all of this trouble!

Replies

Oh dear! 😐

You may have missed the r in /var/folders - but perhaps that's just missing in your post and not the command you ran?

thst was a post error, i did run the correct command

Try holding down cmd-v when you boot. I had a similar issue with VirtualBox kernel extension.

Given the 90% on your progress bar, it looks probable that there is a kext at the bottom of this. Did we purge your system of 3rd party kexts already?

i had such an issue in the past before and got rid of that and other offending kext files and the sorts. This issue is quite peculiar

yes, kext files were purged quite a while ago

I'm currently in SUM and have looked at the /Library/Extensions/ driectory. out put is as follows:

• ACS6x.kext ArcMSR.kext PromiseSTEX.kext
  • ATTOCelerityFC8.kext CalDigitHDDProDrv.kext SortRAID.kext
  • ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext HighPointIOP.kext hp_io_enabler_compound.kext
  • ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext HighPointRR.kext

It's remarkable how many issues your system has had alright - maybe you've got a genuine Gremlin 👿

But seriously 🙂, have a look at your boot log in Single User Mode using the following commands:

• mount -uw /
  • tail -1000 /var/log/system.log | more

will print the last 1000 entries from the main system log, using more to display them one screenful at a time.

Pay particular attention to entries with Kernel[0] in them...

There's no way to directly post your log here under the circumstances, but if you see anything suspicious, you can take a picture and post the link to where you upload it. You'll have to de-link-ify it first actually, because recognised links to non-Apple domains will automatically land your reply in moderation, where it can remain for many days 😐

aalright I shall do that, one question, how would I navigate the log? I have tried this in the past, but do not know exactly how to go to the next screenful

All of those are basic to OS X.

Just press the spacebar.

Another thing to run is:

find /System/Library/Extensions -ctime +1w -depth 2

If it gives you kexts you're pretty sure aren't 3rd-party then increase +1w to +3w or more.

upon examination of the system.log, I got this output:

imgur.com/0eUZWOE

That looks quite odd to me, but not really sure what's going on there

farther down in the logs, I found the following message:

com.apple.kextd[36]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.Cycling74.driver.SAVD, will not load

IS that of any importance?

Yes, that's SoundFlower. You clearly do have one or two rogue kexts around...

Did you try:

find /System/Library/Extensions -ctime +3w -depth 2

I just ran the following command:

I got 3 3rd party kext files in the output:

• APowersoftAudioDevice.kext
  • EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext
  • JMicronATA.kext

As well as a couple Apple kext files

when running

I Got the same output as above.