GM caught in reboot loop

GM is now crashing on login...and then on reboot gets caught in a reboot loop.

In past beta versions I was able to track down a .kext file that was creating the problem, one ( I think) having to do with web-content monitoring called NARCPacketInterceptor.kext.

Upon removing that ,kext from /library/extensions in the past I was able to boot into GM without trouble.

When the same thing happened this morning--even after more than a day using GM--removing that .kext did not solve the crashing/rebooting issue.

What console log do I consult to see what might be causing the issue?

thanks in advance

Accepted Reply

Does this seem like a correct summary of the fix Patrick?

So it turned out that the answer to this question was that ContentWatch's NetNanny was the cause of this bootloop. Also worth noting is that the sofware reinstalls the kext if manually deleted, so it needs to be fully uninstalled.

Interestingly a ContentWatch dev seems to be discussing this very kext here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/8521

Replies

Hi Pc,

Is this the same Mac as in the earlier thread I just replied to?

Max.

yes, unfortunately. Should I shift this question back to that old thread?

For now perhaps, yes.

You won't be able to delete this question anymore I think, because it's been replied to. But if we get your Mac working then I'll post the solution here too - others might find it useful.

So it turned out that the answer to this question was that ContentWatch's NetNanny was the cause of this bootloop. Also worth noting is that the sofware reinstalls the kext if manually deleted, so it needs to be fully uninstalled.

Does this seem like a correct summary of the fix Patrick?

Interestingly a ContentWatch dev seems to be discussing this very kext here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/8521

thanks for redirected me back to previous threads, Max. Yes, this, too, is helpful. I hailed NetNanny to tell them of the issue. They instructed me to uninstall and then reinstall a new patch. I've done the former but will wait to do the latter until I've fully installed public release of EC later today. Glad to know they were working the problem.

Much obliged.