Preview: JPEGs don't display correctly

Hi everyone

I have just installed the El Capitan GM and now I'm experiencing problems opening JPEGs in Preview. I CAN open some JPEGs but some JPEGs just open for a second or less and after that I can only see the background of Preview (the default grey colour). When I zoom in or zoom out, the JPEGs reappears for a moment, then disappears again (probably when it's completely loaded). Does anyone know a fix for that problem? It's quite weird that only some JPEGs seem to be a problem and others don't...

n3acal

Replies

Okay I found out that the image size (Megapixels) is the problem. I can open smaller files, but 20MP files won't display...

And the problem does not occur in safe boot.

The problem does not occur with PNGs and other file formats. Only with JPEGs. And on an external monitor (TV monitor with a lower resolution than Retina) the problem did not occur either.

Also happens on my 13" MacBookPro11,1 which is retina. This image shows briefly when it is first opened but then goes green?

http://k31.uk/img/preview_issue.png

El Cap across all betas and the GM is extremely buggy in terms of visual glitches. And yes, Preview tends to just fall over at the drop of a hat. Often you'll have images loading fine for a while, then it'll just break and as usual with "modern Apple" all you can do is reboot and hope.

The other one that got fixed in earlier betas but seems to have come back is colour profile problems - the JPEG shows its initial rendering pass with roughly correct colours, then re-renders with a totally screwed up colour profile. Looks like a bug in the colour profile parser that isn't interpreting some profiles correctly, which has been (again in usual modern Apple style) being fixed, regressing, being fixed, regressing again...

I have no solutions, except to offer some comfort that it isn't just you and it does seem to be a bug in El Cap.

As far as the 10.11 goes, about the only advantage over 10.10 is that the UI doesn't slow to a crawl after 2-3 days without a reboot. It still leaks RAM heavily and eventually needs a reboot because of that, but the memory compressor (or something) seems to have been tweaked a bit so even though you end up with a ridiculously large swap file, it'll perform better. Yosemite was such a total dog that 10.11 is still a win despite all the bugs, but I, along with anyone else who's been with Apple long enough, doubtless still yearn for the sadly-now-apparently-halcyon days of OS X 10.6.

Thanks for all the information. I "upgraded" from the GM to the final release and the problem persists. Does anyone else have the problem as well? I read about some guys who tried a clean install which didn't seem to solve the problem.

Maybe it's a problem of some corrupt GM files that were not replaced with the update? And what about people who upgraded from Yosemite directly to El Cap? Does the problem exist there as well?

Even I am facing the exact same problem and yesterday was the first time i installed El Capitan. I formatted Yosemite and did a clean install of El Capitan. Anyone tried contacting Apple support?

I did. The only answer they had for now, was, that the problem could be some corrupt files from the GM that remain in the final release... But obviously that can't be the problem, because even after a clean install the problem persists.

I spoke to Apple over the phone today and the person over the phone tried to sort out for an hour but with no success. He took several error reports generated from my Mac and will be forwarded to the Apple engineers. He is going to call me on Monday with the update from their technical team. I again formatted and did a clean install just to be sure but still the issue persists. If tried booting the Mac in safe mode, then surprisingly preview works fine

So your Apple support was slightly more motivated to do something 😝 The Swiss support wasn't really helpful... The only thing they suggested was a clean install, which, as you mentionned, does not help. Glad to hear though that they're working on the problem.

Yes, lol. This is the follow up which I got from Apple today, I’ve had a response from the engineers and they have been able to replicate the issue for themselves - now they are working tirelessly to get a resolution for yourself. They offer no workarounds or additional troubleshooting at this time. We can expect the resolution to be in the form of a Software update or troubleshooting article. I’ll inform you of any updates.

Hello - this may not be a correct/long-term fix, but I experienced this same issue: I was on beta, upgraded to the full release, and the Finder/JPEG issue that you described above persisted. What I did was go into Finder > Preferences > Images > and changed the option to "Size on screen equals size on printout". Now I can use Finder to view JPEGs again. Occasionally will revert to old behavior, but another toggle of this option restores the functionality.

Clearly not the optimal solution, but one that makes Finder functional until a real fix is available. Good luck.

Thanks for this but i have reverted back to Yosemite already. I will wait for 10.11.1 and see if this is fixed.

The OSX 10.11.1. update has fixed the issue for me.